Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will it live or will it die?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently got an order of plants in from a supplier and two of 6 plants had the growth points snapped off... One is N. rafflesiana (a beautiful reddish / purple form) and a node started growing almost immediately... the other was N. gracilis and the main stem looked very similar to your plant (broken tip, several dead leaves, the other leaves were spotted) and the entire vine died, but a basal shoot has started growing...

I had two other Neps that ended up with damaged growth tips (N. ventricosa and N. 'Judith Finn') and the next node sprouted and started growing... heavens above, 'Judith Finn' is a SLOOOOOOOOOW grower in my conditions... I've never grown N. northiana, so obviously I've never tried to strike cuttings from this species. Maybe someone else can speak to how easy the plants are to grow from cuttings?

It seems that I've seen lots of posts from people receiving Neps with broken growth points... I'm wondering if they're all from the same supplier? (I know we can't name other suppliers here...) If the plants are from the same source, maybe they need to take a look at their packaging methods?

Anyway, best of luck! All is not lost...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "cutting" is the tip that popped off.

It seems that I've seen lots of posts from people receiving Neps with broken growth points... I'm wondering if they're all from the same supplier? (I know we can't name other suppliers here...) If the plants are from the same source, maybe they need to take a look at their packaging methods?
    Yeah, I know the one you're referring to. I got this plant in a trade, though the shipping method was just about the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Northiana you say? I withdraw my prediction. :P But you're still doing the right thing by trying.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Refund?

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who ships a plant in that poor of a condition?
    I would of asked for my money back as soon as I saw the condition of the plant.
    I have received some beat up plants but nothing that sickly with a broken off growth tip.
    sorry for the rant but that thing looks like hell.
    anyway, it could bounce back with proper care, I had a half frozen raff bounce back for me.
    sorry if I offended anyone, but trade or sale material should be in decent shape and WELL packed.

peace,
    Zero
    SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a surprise today when I took a close look at the original piece of N. northiana. The popped top had been growing for the past couple months but the bottom half was in a slow decline when suddenly:

The top which must have rooted by now:

Side by side:

I'm really surprised they both pulled through. It kind of sucks that it'll be a few years before either gets some size, but I am now the owner of 2 of the smallest, living, N. northiana in the world.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jeremy,

Thats fantastic. Great job on getting them to root.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *cries and claps* Oh, I love happy miracles .
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast