What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will it live or will it die?

Well....

I got a nep in the mail today and the growing point was popped clean off during shipment. Here are a few pics..

nsd1.jpg

nsd2.jpg

The smallest "cutting" ever:
nsd3.jpg

I'm usually pretty optimistic, but I think this particular plant has no chance at all. :-(

What do you guys think?

Sure. It looks like it'll be just fine. Don't worry about it.The large one has many nodes that can activate, and the smaller one looks like it has a good chance.

Yeah my bet is that both live.

Capslock

What plant is it, just out of curiosity?

xvart.

i have made a smaller cutting like 1.5x the diameter of a quarter and it is pitchering finally :D

N. northiana. :lac:

The roots look healthy but... I'm prepared for the worst.

Are they both northiana? Northiana is extremely hard to root, IMO. I tried about 5 times and failed every time. Good luck :D
Also, it tends to be finicky, even once established, so if they both die, I wouldn't be surprised.

I recently got an order of plants in from a supplier and two of 6 plants had the growth points snapped off... One is N. rafflesiana (a beautiful reddish / purple form) and a node started growing almost immediately... the other was N. gracilis and the main stem looked very similar to your plant (broken tip, several dead leaves, the other leaves were spotted) and the entire vine died, but a basal shoot has started growing...

I had two other Neps that ended up with damaged growth tips (N. ventricosa and N. 'Judith Finn') and the next node sprouted and started growing... heavens above, 'Judith Finn' is a SLOOOOOOOOOW grower in my conditions... I've never grown N. northiana, so obviously I've never tried to strike cuttings from this species. Maybe someone else can speak to how easy the plants are to grow from cuttings?

It seems that I've seen lots of posts from people receiving Neps with broken growth points... I'm wondering if they're all from the same supplier? (I know we can't name other suppliers here...) If the plants are from the same source, maybe they need to take a look at their packaging methods?

Anyway, best of luck! All is not lost...

The "cutting" is the tip that popped off.

It seems that I've seen lots of posts from people receiving Neps with broken growth points... I'm wondering if they're all from the same supplier? (I know we can't name other suppliers here...) If the plants are from the same source, maybe they need to take a look at their packaging methods?

Yeah, I know the one you're referring to. I got this plant in a trade, though the shipping method was just about the same.

Northiana you say? I withdraw my prediction. :p But you're still doing the right thing by trying.

Capslock

Refund?

xvart.

Who ships a plant in that poor of a condition?
I would of asked for my money back as soon as I saw the condition of the plant.
I have received some beat up plants but nothing that sickly with a broken off growth tip.
sorry for the rant but that thing looks like hell.
anyway, it could bounce back with proper care, I had a half frozen raff bounce back for me.
sorry if I offended anyone, but trade or sale material should be in decent shape and WELL packed.

peace,
Zero

I got a surprise today when I took a close look at the original piece of N. northiana. The popped top had been growing for the past couple months but the bottom half was in a slow decline when suddenly:

norr03.jpg

The top which must have rooted by now:

norr02.jpg

Side by side:

norr01.jpg

I'm really surprised they both pulled through. It kind of sucks that it'll be a few years before either gets some size, but I am now the owner of 2 of the smallest, living, N. northiana in the world. :bigthumpup:

Hey Jeremy,

Thats fantastic. Great job on getting them to root. :)

*cries and claps* Oh, I love happy miracles :angel: .

Why is there a drosera with the broken tip? And why is there a fern with the regrowing plant? I would have now cut the old stem off now since all of the leaves are dead.

Why is there a drosera with the broken tip? And why is there a fern with the regrowing plant?

Ferns seem to pop up in just about all my nep pots. They don't really do any harm. When they start to get too big I just snip them. D. burmannii pops up in anything that has the slightest bit of peat in it. They can become a pain when growing neps and other slower plants from seeds. :nono:

lol! You are soo lucky to have ferns pop up like that. loL! I love growing plants as naturalistic looking as they can which means in a community. However...I DO HATE that stupid sheet moss which pops up everywhere in my VFT pots. :censor:

oh man!

Those look like they went eight rounds with Tyson.

Good luck with them; keep us posted on their recovery.

Back