What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. madagascariensis growing tips?

i recently ordered one and i wanted to know the best way to grow it.

Its a lowlander and ive heard it likes to become somewhat dry between waterings.

ok, ive read in multiple areas that is a intermediate plant and can be grown as either highland or lowland.
and its apparently an easy plant to grow.

there was a thread just talking about it and it is definetly a lowlander. It is easy in the beggining but apparently many people cant grow it long term.

dont let PK see this...its a lowlander...highlander or intermediate sayings are FALSE

i understand this now, i will give it the best lowland conditions i can.
its a small plant that i am getting too so no room issues for awhile

I wonder I got a few neps from a nursery he said he mostly grows lowlanders but had some intermediates my neps are all starting to grow but one guy who had some leaf dying around the edges thing(and no growth) and I am pondering it may have been miss IDed since the pitcher it had did not look like the specie. So what I'm saying is I may have a lowlander but if it was would it be dead by now ?
The nursery people are in hawaii and had a nursery in oregon,they said that the lowlander intermediate highlander things is not right really he said that they may be found lsightly higher than the rest then deemed "highlander" he said you can break the rules and grow them in different climates. I am not sure though that is what he and his wife said though........ (no I did not have time to drive 2 hours to any nurseries in hawaii)

WHat plant are you talking about jm? Reinwardtiana?
Gimme a pic. But just because something is a LL doesn't mean it would necessarily die in your climate. Joel (neps around the house) grows some lower intermediate/LL stuff and it does fine.

My camera is broken but the leafs are the short "half" like leafs,
the outside edges of them died (turned brown like it got burned but it did not)
It's not getting worse but it may just keep on sulking,I may just put it in a small closet shelf with a cfl to keep it warmer I dunno it may just be a stressed nep or a lowlanderish intermediate. It is hitting 60 at night in my tank in my room so if it is a warm liking intermediate it may just be freaking out slightly. It says on the tag Sibuyanensis but I don't think so,
unfortunately the pitchers it had croaked,I couldn't make up my mind on hybrids so I just said "whatever has color and looks nice (I am not very picky about nepenthes yet) that could grow inside of my house" He used to live by my area so he knows the climate .

"half like" leaves? Are they somewhat heart shaped?

That might be truncata (shot in the dark, anyone?). Trucata is technically a lowlander, but it can certainly tollerate cooler nights than most lowlanders. Slows it down a little, but otherwise there aren't any adverse affects.

May be not a sib though but I'll give it more heat :)
There heart leafs

can we get back on to the main topic and take convos elsewhere, please?!

SK,

Use the search feature. I answer "how to grow madagascariensis" questions AT LEAST once a month....and get this...I say the same exact thing every time

Back