What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rooting nep cuttings

is it ok to use super thrive on nep cuttings and sarr cuttings?

ah crap i posted in the wrong forum, sorry xD

o_O
snakeoil?
come the hell on wtf lol
but i hope it works fine for my nep atleast.

snake oil....being that its a load of phooey. it dosent work. try to see if you can find a bit of rootone. if not then just put it in some open media and keep watered. it should start to root in a few weeks.

Alex

Some think it's snakeoil and some swear by it. Itried it onec on D. adelae and it still died. I am currently rooting a Nep cutting in a vase of water, notched at the bottom. Still no roots bit I am getting growth from the nodes.

I saw some at a nursery the other day. I could tell from the packaging it was useless.....

SirKristoff- I added a little thing of rooting hormone to your box going out today. Good luck with that cutting!
Andrew

Oh, and some random Drosera too lol ???

Andrew: permanently in the Christmas spirit.

superthrive is about worthless..........rooting hormones work but alot of times is un-needed. i have never used either and have minimal problems rooting neps other than a few thatareknown tobe difficult or atleast inconsistant. rooting hormone isa cheap insurance though and has a scientifically proven track record for helping plants root.

about rooting hormone. I think I have some around here some place, and in fact I am trying to root two neps currently, one I care about a lot, the other is easily replaced. I am rooting them the only way I have experience, in a jar of water I change periodically. How does the rooting hormone work? Sprinkle some in the water?

i just spray the bottom of the stem including the cut site and dip it in the powder. then put it in what i use to root, LFS. i havent had success without rooting hormone so it helps me alot. i used it on a singalana and it rooted in a matter of days(honest to god truth!!) someother i have done took a few weeks.

Alex

humm... I'm tempted... I don't want to lose this cutting though

Can they absorb enough water just sitting in wet LFS?

I've both used rooting hormone and not done so, and had success both ways. If I have a valued cutting, I'd use it, personally. Certainly it doesn't hurt.

I'm of the opinion (just an opinion!), however, that Superthrive has no actual benefit for cuttings.

Capslock

ANDY I FRICHEN LOVE YOU!

Back