What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

recommendations...

The savage garden is a good book, but its cultivation guide is VERY skewed towards growers in the San Fransisco Bay Area.

For example,
Nepenthes villosa is described as "An easy species, but a bit slow" while Pinguicula primuliflora is described as "difficult to keep long term in cultivation".

Despite this, I still would recommend it.

I never noticed that and I've never heard that criticism before, but you have a point. It's still my bible.
just to make this VERY CLEAR:
Savage Garden by Peter D'Amato: YOUR BIBLE and the author is NOT a poacher
Growing Carnivorous Plants by Barry Rice: THE TORAH of CP growing and the author is DEFINITELY NOT a poacher.
Carnivorous plants of the world, by Patricia something or other: A pretty good book from what I've heard, the author has questionable background and may have been a poacher.

Yes, as I said, and got promptly dismissed: there is no "one book to rule them all." I have read about and discovered several examples of incorrect information. As Slurm said, it could be because of growing conditions and local weather. This is why they should be used in tandem - you get a breadth of knowledge from various sources.

xvart.

Thanks to every one...

Im going to try to order:
Growing Carnivorous Plants by Barry Rice
The Savage Garden: Cultivating Carnivorous Plants by Peter D'Amato

I hope I can get the 2 at the same time... but still need to cover my childs presents, mom, sisters, a new pouch and tootpicks for my victorinox.

mmm...

Well let see what happend, again thanks to every one for expose your points of view on the books.

Just don't look at standard textbooks on plants. My friend was taking a general entry level botany class, and his textbook said that cultivators of sundews and VFTs often fed their plants bits of hard boiled egg or hamburger, which I'm sure we all know is something that comes from a male cows rear end.

Back