What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MY new hamata

This was about a year and a half ago, so I didn't mind LFS. After a couple of similar (but not so harsh) experiences, I started to abhor LFS. I can guarantee you that it was shipping shock though. Being potted in lfs (as much as I hate it) would not kill a nep in 2 days, unless it was compacted to a total solid. Also, it didn't show signs of root rot. In my early days, I rotted my share, so I know what that looks like in pretty much every scenario.

At any rate, I've left the highland game. I'm entirely too impatient for that. I'd rather go from a seed to a tree in 2 years than from 2 to 20 inches in 2 years :D.

Very nice Hamata =). You picked that up from a local nursery eh? They don't happen to sell online do they? No need for a vendor name, just wondering if it's who I think it is. Anywho, very sweet christmas gift =).

I'm wondering the same thing. I didn't know they did offline Nepenthes sales, especially with a rare one like N. hamata.

Crap.

I am getting some neps soon, and the majority of the species I want just happen to be notorious for shipping shock. I plan on just growing lowlanders and the Nepenthes I have my eye on (N.belli and N.tomoriana). I have the proper conditions for them, but I'm not sure how well they will deal with the transition.

At any rate, I've left the highland game. I'm entirely too impatient for that. I'd rather go from a seed to a tree in 2 years than from 2 to 20 inches in 2 years :D.

N. hamata when larger and starts to vine, grows incredibly fast.

N. hamata when larger and starts to vine, grows incredibly fast.

Perfect! I'll plan on receiving some cuttings since they grow so fast! lol.

xvart.

i am thinking of putting hamata in here this terraium
compile25.jpg

works well I have grown flytrap seedlings inside before and I have indica in there now its about 80F constant and maybe 65-70 F at night it has high humidity all the time i can squeze hamata in there and elevate it so it isnt sitting it water I have a very small fan on the tank and might be able to make the tmeperature lower at night if necessary
terarium002.jpg

I dont have details about the lighting but its bright and my adelae is red my D. indicas seems to like it and it grows fast for me so
what do you guys think?
my plant is pretty small like 2" in diameter

CRAP MY OTHER FIXTURE FOR THE HAMATA IS CRAPPING OUT ON ME KEEP TURNING OFF SO YEAH I THINK I"LL TRY THIS

Slurm, careful where you get your tomoriana. Ask for a pic and compare w/ the photo finder.

PK, my hamata is sbout 5 inches across and handles major humidity flucuations. About 50-60% in the day, up to 80-100% at night and temps ate about 65 during the day and 55-60 at night...and it seems to be growing fine for me :)

On a side note...it's leaves look fine, but it has stoped pitchering compleatly, i'm thinking winter is the cause...but your input would be very much appriciated PK :)

About 50-60% in the day, up to 80-100% at night
That's how it is in the wild. Those are the fluctuations I'm talking about. I'm referring to something like having it in 70%, then pulling it out into the room for a while. 80-100 down to 50-60 gradually when lights come out is fine....70 to 20 (or whatever normal household humidity is) suddenly is probably not a good idea.

What's your light like? If it's natural light, I'd supplement with a fluorescent. If it's getting the same exact amount/intensity of light as when it was pitchering...maybe try to get the day temps up 5-8° or so. But don't take my word for it...my hamata is in a landfill in West Texas somewhere. Let's wait for someone that actually knows what they're doing w/ highlanders....like capslock lol

Edit- Ack... mods can delete this.

Now all you have to worry about are jealous carnivorous plant growers that might take a visit to your house.....
On a completely unrelated note:
What part of Oregon do you live in?

Egypt, Oregon

What's your light like? If it's natural light, I'd supplement with a fluorescent. If it's getting the same exact amount/intensity of light as when it was pitchering...maybe try to get the day temps up 5-8° or so. But don't take my word for it...my hamata is in a landfill in West Texas somewhere. Let's wait for someone that actually knows what they're doing w/ highlanders....like capslock lol

They are fluorescent. I have them under 2 20" photosynthesis lights about 2-3 inches away from newest leaf...it loved it in the summer anf fall, made extreamly large pitchers for it's are and size....and then suddent;y stoped after the thirpes attack in October, even though it has fully recovered. I'm really thinking it's just because it's winter and that whole biological clock thing...

haha, get Capslock on here!

i only have room for two right now =/

Back