Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MY new hamata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "but when small hamatas die from shipping in the hands of Tony Paroubek...what was I supposed to do."

I thought we are not suppose to mention name of vendor here. Well any way, i think it must something that you did wrong because my hamata t was half the size as now and it did fine.
    What media did you potted it in?
    We can go for days without food, but we can't pass 5 minutes without air. REMEMBER TO BREATH!!!

Trouble breathing? Let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony is a member here, not speaking of his vending, just something that has happened to him as I have heard .

I left it in what it came in - LFS. I heard recently that hamata seems to need/prefer LFS, so it certainly wasn't that. I don't think there's much you can do wrong to kill a nep in 4 days, save pouring acid on it or leaving it in the stove or something.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought you said you hated LFS. What made you changed your mind? May be if you would have repot into an airier mix it may survive.
    We can go for days without food, but we can't pass 5 minutes without air. REMEMBER TO BREATH!!!

Trouble breathing? Let me know.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe that experience is one reason for the... "distaste" for LFS.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was about a year and a half ago, so I didn't mind LFS. After a couple of similar (but not so harsh) experiences, I started to abhor LFS. I can guarantee you that it was shipping shock though. Being potted in lfs (as much as I hate it) would not kill a nep in 2 days, unless it was compacted to a total solid. Also, it didn't show signs of root rot. In my early days, I rotted my share, so I know what that looks like in pretty much every scenario.

At any rate, I've left the highland game. I'm entirely too impatient for that. I'd rather go from a seed to a tree in 2 years than from 2 to 20 inches in 2 years .
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepenthes View Post
    Very nice Hamata =). You picked that up from a local nursery eh? They don't happen to sell online do they? No need for a vendor name, just wondering if it's who I think it is. Anywho, very sweet christmas gift =).
    I'm wondering the same thing. I didn't know they did offline Nepenthes sales, especially with a rare one like N. hamata.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crap.

I am getting some neps soon, and the majority of the species I want just happen to be notorious for shipping shock. I plan on just growing lowlanders and the Nepenthes I have my eye on (N.belli and N.tomoriana). I have the proper conditions for them, but I'm not sure how well they will deal with the transition.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    At any rate, I've left the highland game. I'm entirely too impatient for that. I'd rather go from a seed to a tree in 2 years than from 2 to 20 inches in 2 years .
    N. hamata when larger and starts to vine, grows incredibly fast.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast