Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pest Problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Pest Problem

Hello, i have just registered although i have been reading posts for quite some time. Two weeks ago, i noticed my pepper plant had been infested/devastated by some sort of pest, there was also i spike in the gnat(little tiny flying specks, butterwort took care of them ) population on my windowsill, i sprayed with insecticides but from the looks of it, it did absolutely nothing and it might have spread to my miranda though i am uncertain if it was the same pest,

and to a much lesser extent, my ventrata (i think they like the more chewable leaves on the miranda).

How do i get rid of them, they are growing at an exponential rate. I cannot submerge the plants because i don't have a large enough container. I assume i have to use a pesticide but it has be be available from home depot or unpreferably lowes because it'll long to long and i can't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its late and I know you may be looking for an answer right now... I'm not experienced enough with pest control on neps but I've seen a TON of threads on it recently... try using the search option to find a thread that matches yours... the option is found on your topmost green bar on the page... good luck. if not someone later tonight or tomorrow will appropriately answer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you might tell us what insecticide you've already used that you said had no effect

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use a rose bush and shrub insecticide for aphids on my pepper plant, can't remember the name, i dare not use it on my nepenthes, and i doubt it worked my pepper plant

EDIT: alright, i did a bit of searching and from what i could find, i assume the pests are thrips. What would be the best pesticide? Would sevin work? what other pesticides would work?
    Last edited by Its_a_friday; 12-22-2007 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Because its a friday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nope! not pests. they are nectar glands. the black is just a clogged gland...like a black head
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for starting this thread its_a_friday. I have the same thing going on with my maxima. If it is a pest, it's probably thrip. But it's probably not a pest so....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glider14 View Post
    nope! not pests. they are nectar glands. the black is just a clogged gland...like a black head
    Alex
    there are nectar glands on the leave O_o? Tell me more <_<

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Its_a_friday View Post
    there are nectar glands on the leave O_o? Tell me more <_<
    Not just the leaves but the petioles, stems, and sepals can all have nectar glands on them. These are so prominent that Nepenthes glandulifera gets it's name from these.

Hint: Touch the spots and see if they are sticky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast