Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Late xmas present!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool share. Awesome to see these plants come back with a vengeance =D. Congrats!
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it's been just about 2 months since I made this post... This plant has done -nothing- for me. It won't die and it won't grow. The basal turned green and now is just sitting there... is there something I can do to make help make it active?

I'm curious if it's working on another one under ground again. What do you guys think I should do with it? Dig it up and repot it again? Just let it keep doing nothing? Something else?

-Nate
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Nate,

This is just anecdotal evidence, but I have noticed with my Gymnamphora that when stressed it can REALLY slow down. Also, I recently rooted some basals and they seem to just sit there, green, but doing nothing. If the potting medium is good, I would just leave it and give it time. It could just be slow from severe shock, and from a lack of pitchers for nutrients. Perhaps a more experienced grower can suggest whether or not you should apply a very light fertilizer. Good luck with your plant, and keep us posted .

Daniel
    - Daniel

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Water the pot it's in with quarter strength fertilizer (since it looks like you use LFS, I wouldn't go past quarter strength) twice a month. Flush with pure water the next day. Hopefully the roots the basal is connected to are still alive, and that can help. If the basal is not connected to any roots from the original plant, I wouldn't bother; just wait it out. You can try foliar feeding but I've learned it doesn't do much at all compared to root/pitcher fertilizing. You can water with Superthrive if you want (I do) but some people think it's snake-oil (I don't). Just dump a cap full in a cup of pure water and water with that.

Once it makes little tiny pitchers, use a syringe and put half strength fertilizer-water in the pitchers twice a month. I'd stop fertilizing the media at that point. Don't want to over do it

The simplest thing to do is nothing, however. It'll pull through on it's own! I do highly recommend fertilizing ALL Nepenthes bi-monthly (or 4x a month at more dilute levels if you want.) I don't recommend fertilizing the media of Nepenthes grown in LFS unless they have no pitchers to fertilize, and even then flush a little extra. LFS degrades quickly when you fertilize the media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been reading up on that maxsea stuff. Do you think using that as the fert for this situation would be suitable?
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LFS degrades quickly when you fertilize the media.
    I have two or three plants in LFS that I got that way and never took out. I've fertilized them twice a month with full strength Schultz orchid twice a month some of them for 8+ months, and the LFS looks exactly the same, even underneath the top level of it.

I flush my pots once every three days or so, and I've never had a problem.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then you're far luckier than most people's experiences. IME, no matter how much I flush, it still degrades quickly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are some of the signs of LFS degrading? I can only access dried at the moment, so it doesn't look that awesome to begin with.
    My Grow List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast