What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to buy!?

DavyJones

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level
Hey guys.

I'm looking at buying a new nep, and I can't decide on either a N. Mira, N. Lowii, or N. Sanguinea - Red. All would be small sized plants, I don't really have room for anything huge or expensive. Which ones seem the most interesting?

Of the 3 that you have listed, I would say Lowii. It is unique looking with the hairs on the lid. Mira will eventually get huge. Just my opinion.

Lowii is sorta slow fromm what people say.

Another reason to get Lowii if space is an issue!

N. lowii is so slow, I call it N. slowii. It's REALLY slow and you'll be waiting quite a while for it's characteristic uppers.

Grr I forgot what it is but there is a lowwi look alike that would be nice to grow.

N. ephippiata

Grr I forgot what it is but there is a lowwi look alike that would be nice to grow.

Ephipiata?

Anywho, my Mira and Lowii are veryslow, and Sanguinea of course grows quite fast. My Mira might just be slow because it's a TC mutant, or it is in a stunted growth stage. Either way, I think Lowii would be a good choice also. Slow enough not to intrude on space, and very nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
my mira is growing fast. its new pitcher is bigger than the last. It seems to be a very easy plant.

same with me...mira isnt slow at all for me. and also for me. neither is lowii. since october it has grown 3 leaves...that not bad for any nepenthes really.mira is an easy plant but it likes the humidity. mine took 6 months to adjust to the low humidity of my shelf and start making pitchers with full non-stunted lids. lowii has also been easy for me. it has made one pitcher for me and with one on the way. it just needs a really good night time drop(which is very easy to do in my basement.)

however. for sure get sanguinea red fro starters. its fast. colorful. and easy. once you get that going you can try the others.

Alex

Initially I was leaning towards the Mira. I already have a Ventricosa and x Velvet which seem to be pretty easy. After reading some more about it, I found out that my N. Spectabilis is considered to be intermediate. I would rather have something that grows a bit slower due to my space requirements, and it seems that Lowii wont get as huge as Sanguinea. My N. Ventricosa and N. x Velvet have really taken off since purchase, and since I have one challenging one so far, I figure another wont be that bad. I guess the hard part will be temp regulation in the summer with the A/C on and no way to get my plants outside (living in an apt. on an upper floor with no balcony)

well i can tell you that lowii will NOT pitcher with out its humidity. mira will and so will sanguinea. mira will eventually get big. but mine was 2.5 inches across when i got it in May 07. now its only 3.5in across. so it may get big. but not for a while.

Alex

I must have a slowish Mira cuz my Lowii is pitchering and growing and my Mira is acting like my Rajah... actually come to think of it my Rajah is growing faster than my Mira. Damnit! It's gotta be a TC runt or mutant or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
since october it has grown 3 leaves...that not bad for any nepenthes really
I see you've never had an adventure to the wondrous world of lowlanders. Gracilis black = new leaf every week ;)

omg! for real!? i got gracilis seeds a while ago and none germinated. bleh. that was a dissapointment.

Alex

PS. cool avatar! waterbear?

N. lowii really isn't all the slow when it gets larger. Mind you guys are right that if every day you look at it, it is going to be slow. Just ignore it for a week (not watering though!) and see the growth changes! Even after 3-4 days its pretty amazing if your plant is settled in and established in a sufficient environment.

Yeah dude gracilis black, if kept warm enough, will make short work of destroying any remaining space. It'll throw out a new leaf every 1-2 weeksish. Mine's slow(er) now because all my stuff is kept very cold in winter (65°)

And yep, that'd be a tardigrade. Crazy little things. Watching them walk is so cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbXzGWFwSw8&feature=related

For some reason though, it seems like its moving a lot faster than it should be....

dude i know! it makes me wanna shrink and give it a hug! so cute!
Alex

How stiff are the humidity requirements for N. Lowii? Do you think it could be grown without a terrarium?

Back