Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Gymnamphora and Talangensis: Shrinkage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow my talangensis in 70-80% humidity with 70-80F day temps and 50-60F night temps in soil mix of LFS, perlite, and orchid bark in a 2:1:1 ratio, I keep it 6" away from 2 T12 shoplights. It has done great for me in my conditions and doubled in size since I got it last september.
    Max

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Talang Av8tor

Yea I noticed the deformed pitcher lids on my Neps grown on windowsills, but the Gymnamphora is kept in at least 70% humidity constantly. At night it goes way up. I think you are right about the fungus, I'm overdue for a good spraying, and I think I am gonna repot a few plants while I'm at it. Do you think I should try to separate the basals too? or just grow them out with the main stem cut off? I could always cut up the basals and root them separately I guess... I suppose if they grow out they're gonna be way overcrowded and the plant will inevitably create more basals anyway...

Edit: Thx for the conditions Av8tor and Maxposwillo. I'm gonna repot the Talangensis and hope it improves in a couple months. My conditions are quite similar to Maxposwillo's (day/night temp flux and high humidity), so I am thinking the Talangensis either had a hard time adapting to my conditions originally, or the media is all wrong.
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a stubborn talangensis that refuses to grow well, but I'm thinking about repotting it (anyone have any suggestions on soil mix?) and seeing how it fares outside.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well....My talang hasn't pitchered yet...but atleast its growing slowly. I use LFS + bark. Thats all my mix has. All my neps grow in this mix. (except my ramispina and bical).

What does your mix contain? see if its root congestion. Try making the mix lighter. I think I see some peat in there. I would take that off the mix.

You know its interesting to see that symptoms of leaves getting small. I know it must be frustrating for the grower..but I really want to know why this is happening. I know this happened to a friend's mikei. Apparently it wasn't enough of a night drop combined wiht low humidity that was the culprit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd separate and root the basals separately, and not touch the main vine, but that's just how I roll.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the same cypress based mix that I use for my helis, mostly high grade shredded cypress bark with a little LFS and just a touch of schultz orchid mix.... my plants seem to love it,

Av

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    I know this happened to a friend's mikei. Apparently it wasn't enough of a night drop combined wiht low humidity that was the culprit.
    For what it's worth, my N. mikei was never bothered by warm nights (70) during the summer, but I did have high humidity. It grew fine, but never increased in diameter until winter came. Of course it could have taken that long to settle in, and it was a coincidence that that is when it picked up. The cooler temps didn't hurt, at any rate. I think Ron had the same problem, no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I did have the same exact problem. Now mine gets 65 days and probably really low 50s at night. Humidity is lower now though. Either way, I just got a new humidifier, so I might move it to 80 days and 65 nights, with way higher humidity, since now its only about 30% I think. I keep trying to trade it away, but no one wants it apparently, which is unfortunate since I'm about to kill it I think.

Looking at the title of this topic though, is anyone else thinking of that one Seinfeld episode?
    THINGS HAPPEN IN THE WATER!
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast