Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Gymnamphora and Talangensis: Shrinkage

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    Yeah I did have the same exact problem. Now mine gets 65 days and probably really low 50s at night. Humidity is lower now though. Either way, I just got a new humidifier, so I might move it to 80 days and 65 nights, with way higher humidity, since now its only about 30% I think. I keep trying to trade it away, but no one wants it apparently, which is unfortunate since I'm about to kill it I think.

Looking at the title of this topic though, is anyone else thinking of that one Seinfeld episode?
    THINGS HAPPEN IN THE WATER!
    LMAO! The first time I was this thread... I had this sentence in my head:

"You don't understand! There was shrinkage"

LMAO! I love that show. Must have seen all episodes like 10 times.

BTW PK....how come u are suddenly quoting supreme highland temp heaven?? I thought you are a lowlander.

BTW JLP....that mikei of my friend's grew fantastically for like many months or so...and then it started a slow decline. That is the typical thing with highlanders...some may seem that they grow great in lowland conditions for a while....but later it eventually needs its own conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mikei never did good in my lowland conditions. It started to decline almost immediately.

The reason the temps are like that, is because Lubbock is in the desert and its COLD in the winter. We had a couple weeks where the high was in the upper 30s or mid 40s. I put the mikei by the window, and only heat my house to 65 in the day. At night, when the mikei is right next to a 6' x 6' piece of glass (sliding glass doors) that is pretty much 40s from being in contact w/ the 20 outside and 65 inside, it gets even more of a drop.

The lowlanders have to tough it out at 65 at night for now. I'll be getting a heater whenever I get that friggin chamber completed. I think it'll probably be Sunday...maybe Monday, so keep your eyes peeled.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    makes sense. However, at those temps for the winter, your mikei should be doing very well? Maybe its the adjustment phase which normally is more than 4 months by which season would have already changed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished repotting my Gymnamphora, Talangensis, and one of my Hamatas. I'm pretty sure all the peat in my Talangensis mix was causing the problems, and there were signs of white mold/fungus? in the media. Even though the mix seemed dry to me, it was saturated beneath the surface and quite possibly also causing root congestion as Varun suggested. I used only LFS, Perlite, and Orchid Bark this time. I didn't spray anything, but I blasted the roots clean and used all fresh media so this should hopefully eliminate the mold problem. My Hamata was giving me problems too but I believe this to be because of the tiny dilapidated root structure it was shipped with. I also had peat in the potting mix, so I added some rooting hormone and used the same mix as with the Talangensis. As for the Gymnamphora, I separated all the basals, and potted them separately using only LFS, and repotted the main vine (as suggested by PK). Hopefully this should improve the growth of the plant because I took 6 different basals off. This plant also had too high of a peat mix (I got outta hand with coco peat lol), and it definitely had fungus issues because of it. Tiny white balls of nastiness. I'm pretty sure I am gonna end up repotting a bunch of other plants even though they are doing fine with the higher peat based mix. I don't have any problems with the plants that use a lot of Perlite and Orchid Bark, although I do have to water them more. I need more media, but I hate using dead LFS. Anyone know of a good place that has Live LFS? Or very high quality dried LFS? I have plenty of Bark and Perlite but I need some water retention.

On another note, I totally was reminded of Seinfeld too after I wrote the title of this post lol. "Do women know about shrinkage?"

Anywho heres a couple pics of the basals I separated and planted. Once they're all rooted up I'll probably be giving away most of them for shipping if anyone is interested. I had to put 3 in one pot because I ran out of mini pots. I'll update this post in a couple months once they've grown out some.

- Daniel

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepenthes View Post
    Anyone know of a good place that has Live LFS? Or very high quality dried LFS?
    Clint's backyard.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol I know.... I'm trying to bribe, err convince him to hook it up .
    - Daniel

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, I'm so flattered.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)