Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Gymnamphora and Talangensis: Shrinkage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Gymnamphora and Talangensis: Shrinkage

Despite reading warnings that Talangensis can be a difficult plant to grow successfully, I went ahead and bought one some months back. Well, despite good wintertime temperatures and good light and humidity, my Talangensis continues on its shrinking path of self-destruction. I don't know if I should trade/give it away or let it continue to shrink just to spite it . My Gymnamphora is showing a similar pattern, but as I told Clint, I think it is because of all the basals being produced. I think I should just cut off the main stem of the Gymnamphora (root it), and let the basals grow out separately. What do you guys think? I'm not sure what to do about the Talangensis either... can anyone offer some advice on encouraging good growth? Is it pretty much doomed? What are ideal conditions for Talangensis? Any and all input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Talangensis:

Gymnamphora: (It originally came with a pitcher about three times the size of the largest one in the picture, but it was crushed during shipping. At that time there was only a tiny basal sprouting up. Shortly after about 3 nodes became activated, and about 4 or 5 basals sprouted up. The node growth has since died, but the basals seem to be doing OK... Would cutting the larger part of the plant kill some of the basals via decreased photosynthesis and nutrients?)
    - Daniel

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got to disagree man. This plant is known for making copious basals. It's like N. ampullaria. Furthermore, my plant put on all of the growth you see before it made any basals. The basals it has are very small and underdeveloped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you ought to keep both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    I've got to disagree man. This plant is known for making copious basals. It's like N. ampullaria. Furthermore, my plant put on all of the growth you see before it made any basals. The basals it has are very small and underdeveloped.
    Really? Perhaps it is just a TC runt then or something, because the leaves and pitchers it came with were all larger than the ones it is putting out now. Also, the pitchers on the main stem all have burnt off or mutated lids on the pitchers. The basals look fine, though immature. I think I will still end up cutting off the main stem though, because even if it doesn't help the shrinkage problem, it would still improve the look of the plant. IMO anyway. I wonder what is causing the deformed pitcher lids though?

I think I will end up keeping both of them, but I really would like to provide the right conditions for my Talangensis. It doesn't seem to be improving and has failed to pitcher.
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think mine is mainly due to dumb luck but FWIW...

60-70f, but no change in temp from day/night (sits on the shelf with everything else)
    60-ish% RH
    monthly trichoderma

fish pellets and occasional watering with a weak orchid mix

Cheers'
    Av

( I'm hoping my new aristo likes my enviroment as well, dang you Varun )

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol! You know you like it. Don't blame me. lol! * hides before Av can try to lure me into Heli cultivation*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't wait to get one of those plants. I love the red in them. So vibrant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main cause of lack of lid or deformed lid is too low humidity.
    The lower leaves on the main stem of the gymnamphora look like they have/had a fungus. If I were you I'd definitely do some separation of the plants. I don't let my plants get more than one basal really, but thats just personal preference.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast