Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SLOW N. Spectabilis

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLOW N. Spectabilis

I received a N. Spectabilis a few months ago (probably a borneo exotics plant, I got it from a retailer that also sells poisonous frogs?), and had read that it was a fairly vigorous grower. It is FINALLY, very SLOWLY developing its first pitcher that I have seen, (it came pitcher-less.) My other neps are thriving. Might it just be a slow grower? Quick rundown of the setup, 2 x 100 watt equiv 'cool' CFLs, 50%-60% humidity, water every 3-4 days, soil is a mix of orchid bark, peat moss and perlite, temps are in mid 70's during the day, and I try to get them as low as I can at night (turn off heater) usually gets to low 60's. If it needs lower temps at night, any tips on localized cooling? No terrarium, they are all near a windowsill. Finicky highlanders. You guys are great.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the same boat as you. haha get it? Davey Jones? eh nevermind...

But yeah I got mine from the same supplier as you, just recently has mine started to do anything. (bought it mid summer) But it's taking off! It's working on 3 pitchers for me at the moment, I can't even remember this thing making one in the first place. Hang in there!

Nate
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long ago did you get it? It's probably just getting settled in.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    End of October-ish? What would you say is the normal acclimation period? I hate being such a newbie.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds reasonable. It depends on the plant, of course, and how well it was shipped or repotted. Some plants take forever, some not all.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFlyTrap2 View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you. haha get it? Davey Jones? eh nevermind...

But yeah I got mine from the same supplier as you, just recently has mine started to do anything. (bought it mid summer) But it's taking off! It's working on 3 pitchers for me at the moment, I can't even remember this thing making one in the first place. Hang in there!

Nate
    Lol.

I also got a Spectabilis from this retailer. Two in fact, the regular and the larger 'north sumatra dark form'. First of all, the plants were probably in shock from the poopy potting media they use and the super small pots they use. Most the plants from them are rootbound with gnarly looking roots that just slow growth down. Both of my spectabilis plants came without pitchers, and only after several months, is the North Sumatra plant finally beginning to make pitchers. Three right now, just like MrFlyTrap's. My smaller Spectabilis started making pitchers about a month or two after receiving it, so I am thinking it underwent less stress seeing as how it had a smaller root structure jammed into a tiny pot. Perhaps yours just took some time getting acclimated? How much peat do you use?
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If yours was like mine, it was 'fresh off the boat' not going into the supplier arena, but I did 3 order with mine before I called it quits. I got tired of seeing them fall out of the pots while unpacking because there were no roots to hold them in place. While they are true champs and -all still alive- they still come with a long waiting period before they start to show some true colors since they are basically fresh cuttings. I would chalk this up to the slow show time, you might be working with a cutting.

-Nate
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Upon receiving it, I was surprised to see that it was potted with just bark on the bottom, and something resembling easter grass on top. The plant was very loose, and overall poorly shipped. I repotted it, with the normal 50/50 peat/perlite mix on bottom, and kept the bark on top. If memory serves me correctly, there was a fairly decent root structure, it was just poorly potted. I also don't believe it was a cutting, due to the structure of the plant. Anyways, I'm just happy that it is finally producing a pitcher, however slowly it may be. Leafs seem to be growing fairly quickly though, which I take as a good sign. I'm very excited to see this plant in all its splendor. I will NEVER buy from that supplier again though, thats for sure.

After this pitcher fully develops, I might repot the plant again in a less layered mix that I got from the 'nepenthes around the house' guy. I put some other plants in that mix, and they are doing really well. When I got it I replanted it quickly to try and keep the shock to a minimum, but I definitely could have done a nicer job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast