What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rooting cuttings question

Hey guys, I just received a cutting of Rokko 'Exotica' the other day and I was wondering if I should treat it as a lowlander while rooting or a highlander? My highlanders get very cold at night (like 45F) so I am thinking maybe I should leave it with the lowlanders? I know it is Thorelii x Maxima, but I have heard that Maxima takes over in the hybrid? Also, while on the subject, should I treat Thorelii x Mixta as a lowlander? I know it has a good deal of lowlander parentage, but I believe it was being grown outside as a highlander. Finally, I have some cuttings of various highlanders, but I was wondering if the cold night time temp drops will be detrimental to the rooting process? The daytime temps fluctuate between 70-78 depending on how warm it is outside. Thx for the help.

Rokko is rock solid, so it probably doesn't matter. Personally I'd treat like a lowlander because 1) that's what I grow, 2) thorelii hybrids (especially primary hybrids) tend to love heat. Maxima can be from many different places, and is pretty adaptable as well, so it shouldn't be a problem. Personally I wouldn't let a primary thorelii hybrid go down to 45, but I'm not saying it will kill it or anything. I'd treat the other cutting as a lowlander too, but obviously it can survive in highland conditions.

Highlanders will root in either temp. I mean, in situ, it's cold as all getout and they root. But as a general rule, lower temps = slower growth. I'd probably just keep them in HL conditions so they won't have to adapt or anything later.

Sweet sounds good... thanks for the useful feedback :). Hopefully the Rokko roots up, as it is the only cutting I have, along with a Ventricosa x Ovata (that I have rooting in HL temps).

Back