Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rooting cuttings question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rooting cuttings question

Hey guys, I just received a cutting of Rokko 'Exotica' the other day and I was wondering if I should treat it as a lowlander while rooting or a highlander? My highlanders get very cold at night (like 45F) so I am thinking maybe I should leave it with the lowlanders? I know it is Thorelii x Maxima, but I have heard that Maxima takes over in the hybrid? Also, while on the subject, should I treat Thorelii x Mixta as a lowlander? I know it has a good deal of lowlander parentage, but I believe it was being grown outside as a highlander. Finally, I have some cuttings of various highlanders, but I was wondering if the cold night time temp drops will be detrimental to the rooting process? The daytime temps fluctuate between 70-78 depending on how warm it is outside. Thx for the help.
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rokko is rock solid, so it probably doesn't matter. Personally I'd treat like a lowlander because 1) that's what I grow, 2) thorelii hybrids (especially primary hybrids) tend to love heat. Maxima can be from many different places, and is pretty adaptable as well, so it shouldn't be a problem. Personally I wouldn't let a primary thorelii hybrid go down to 45, but I'm not saying it will kill it or anything. I'd treat the other cutting as a lowlander too, but obviously it can survive in highland conditions.

Highlanders will root in either temp. I mean, in situ, it's cold as all getout and they root. But as a general rule, lower temps = slower growth. I'd probably just keep them in HL conditions so they won't have to adapt or anything later.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet sounds good... thanks for the useful feedback . Hopefully the Rokko roots up, as it is the only cutting I have, along with a Ventricosa x Ovata (that I have rooting in HL temps).
    - Daniel