What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My ventrata

DSC08061.jpg

DSC08060.jpg

DSC08059.jpg

repot it that mix is just to wet it needs more than just straight peat.

that is a VERY sick looking nep.
needs a spray or a repotting.
my 'Ventrata'
VENTRATA-1.jpg

agrred..thats is a very sick nep. what conditions are you giving it?

Alex

AH MY EYES!

That mix needs some other stuff in it. Use orchid bark, perlite, or both, where peat is 50% or less of the mix.

Can I ask why on earth there's green plastic tied around the plant??

Also, contrary to what others say, the plant is dehydrated as hell. That's why it looks leathery and the leaves are curled inward toward the midrib laterally. Either you have watering all wrong, or the roots are dead, in which case you'll shortly have a dead plant.

This plant just got here 3 days ago. Leaves were dryish and curling right out of the box. I been watering it as I feel it drying. Not sure what else to do for it.

:( Not lookin' good. Repot it in LFS, perlite, & orchid bark. Good light wouldn't hurt either.

Yeah, you definitely need to add something else to that mix. Try some orchid bark, perlite, rocks, packing peanuts, anything. I agree that even though you've only had it three days it could be slow responding because of shock (in addition to the other problems), but giving it a good airy mix will allow for better root development and establishment. The plant does look really dry and it may not have been ready to be put into a sopping wet mix (more shock).

What are the green lines tied to the plant?

xvart.

It's not tight tied to it. loose knots witht he plant just resting in the to try and let the stems sturdy up. The top was growing sideway and with the string i was able to get it more upward.

Lots of top water like msiting and maybe maybe a baggy phission you know what he should do. I recentley giot a cutting form 1 hour away drive it was totally dried it just hsows you need to keep tings very oist or wrap in cling wrap...

That pot looks huge creepa... not that it will matter, but it seems oversized. Did you say what it was potted in? Like others have said already, it looks like a ton of peat with no aeration. Ideally a highlander (Ventrata being a hybrid between two H/Lers) should contain little to no peat in the mix. What brand peat did you use? Does it have fertilizer included in it (don't want that)? Keep us posted on the plant's progress (or decline). Oh yeah, what kind of light is the plant receiving? Do you know what the humidity is where it is being grown? Good luck with your Nep :). If it dies it shouldn't be too hard to get another one. I might even be able to make a cutting and root it for you (although it will take a while before it's ready to be shipped).

Daniel

Hey creepa. Mac here. Your ventrata needs some help. I think it still salvagable though. I have mine potted in 2 parts LFS (Chilean), 1 part fine orchid bark, 1 part perlite, 1 part horticultural charcoal, and a handful of osmunda fiber. All this available at lowes or HD. You need to repot with new media right away. May take a couple months to come back but ventrata is tough.

yeah! pretty creepily dehydrated. PK is absolutely right. You should open up the mix a bit by potting it in either Peat+bark (large amounts) + perlite or maybe substitue LFS for peat.

then water it well....give it good humidity and light.

Heck guys. Creepa I am sorry. i will ship you another one. I didn't think it looked that bad before I sent it to ya. I thought it was just from being in too small of a pot.

Guys it is not his fault he got it that way from me. Didn't think it was that bad, but it didn;t do good in shipping from what I can see. Creeper send me your addy again. I will send you some cuttings.

I also told him to pot it in a 12 inch pot too guys. Blame me for that one. Not his fault. I post many things in a 12 inch pot. so they can grow into it. Creepa sorry to get you to buy a 12 inch pot, but according to the people here probably a 4 inch pot would be better.

Not your fault JB . I'm just a noobie and killed it.

Back