Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats wrong with my northiana?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I you get the right lavarock you can grow neps,pings,drosera,urtics and all other cps instead of perilite but if you get the lavar rock say from a company that mines it from the shore then your toasted.. But if you get it from hawaii and it says "cinder" then your set and it may be a different rpoblem. JLAP it looks like ferilizer sorta since they have some dimesion I dunno.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if this information will help, but here is the living conditions I treat these plants in:

Temperature;
    90 by day, 85 by night

60% - 90% throughout the day

Sun levels:
    Shade for the group of three, and a little bit of sun for the single plant.

Watering:
    daily, once in the morning or once at night. Sometimes it gets quite dry and I can hear the media sizzling when I pour the water in. The water is given very generously and flows out of the pot excessively. I think any mineral buildup should be flushed out every time I water.

Fertilizer:
    once a week on the weekend, 1/4 strength, orchid fertilizer, sprayed onto the leaves and nothing goes into the media or the roots.

This plant started exhibiting this strange behavior, five months ago. It was in a different location, and the shifting position of the sun started to hit it. It started getting large red patches of sunburn. I shifted it out to its current location. But the sunburn seemed to continue. That led me to suspect that this is something else other than sunburn. At that time, the plant was in volcanic soil with some burnt rice husk. I changed the pot into a mesh pot. The plant responded positively for one leaf and then stopped growing again. In December I changed the media into the current media. Since then it has responded well again by growing another leaf, but, everything is frying at the tips again.

The part that puzzles me most is I treat all four with the same living conditions yet only one of them is acting adversely like this. This was previously the most vigorous of the for and the fastest growing as well until what happened five months ago.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you add a nice bit of LFS to your mix? Please tell me you don't think it'll kill it!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like orchid leaves when they get to much minerals in the water. Do you use R/O water? If the rocks sizzle when you water I would try to cool the roots off a little by planting them in peat with some lava rock added to it or LFS like Clint suggested. I could be wrong as I have never grown that plant before. It is just a behavior I have seen with Orchids. Switch the media as I think your cooking the roots if it is sizzling when you water and then start using more pure water.

I have a few orchids that don;t like my water, and they are the thiner leaf orchids. So far my nepenthes don't mind it.

Goodluck and I hope that helps you.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with JustLikeAPill... I think the lava rock is too rough for a small nepenthes on recovering.

I have a question here you say "The plant responded positively for one leaf and then stopped growing again..." the plant stop growing at all and the leaves start turning brow or just get on standby?

N. Albomarginata, N. Ampullaria
    N. Bellii, N. Bicalcarata, N. Rafflesiana
    N. Sanguinea (Orange Pitcher), Cephalotus Follicularis

http://www.knology.net/~fus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used lava rock on a few easy neps and many tehr things but for a small nep that has small weak roots lava rock is not a thing that would work..

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    id have to say excess minerals. I wouldn't risk a repot though...try flushing it with water for a few days and then let it sit.
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lava rock mostly it does NOT retain water like charcoal or vermuculite or maintaines(absorbs) water like perilite so a few flushes and you should be in the green.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast