Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    slow growing huh? Better learn to have patience then. lol something I lack

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know..... seeds tend to have a HIGH mortality rate AFTER germination. Since I have only had this one germinate... I would love to call him "GOLDEN BOY" and I hope he sticks around for a while. lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better take good care of him and bottle feed him

I wish you luck with it. So far so good though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bad thing is...the thing is now sitting there for the past 1 week exactly looking like this. 2 leaves open. thats it.
    Probably shouldn't have moved it. Also, there's a good chance the LFS will overgrow the seedling. Just keep a look out, and I hope you have steady hands and tiny scissors lol.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm can that happen like where the LFS is choking a plant? I have some dews that seem stunted and are surrounded by LFS. I tried getting the lfs off but its like frozen on there lol.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well! The LFS I am using is LIVE. So its a lot more airy based on my opinion as sphagnum tries to take as much room as it can provided the adequate humidity.
    Yeah PK! I should have left golden boy alone. But it germinated in a high conc peat media as I noticed many of the seed experts on pitcher plants boards using that media. I then read on ICPS that nepenthes seed is better to be transplanted right in the week of germination as many seedlings die. I thought it was good as live LFS has the great property of nice slow moving water by capillary action through ITSELF. Being such soft cell structure and such porous nature...seedlings seem very very likely to love a sphagnum based medium. I recently also noticed that VFT cuttings/ping cuttings LOVE live LFS. There you go...that was the reasoning for the decision. eyah! I do watch him everyday and see if he is being drowned...and yeah....I am on the lookout for one of those surgical scissors. lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm can that happen like where the LFS is choking a plant?
    It can "choke out" the light the plant is receiving, especially if the plant in question is a little seedling.

I don't know...I have lots of qualms with the ICPS seed instructions for neps. I kinda wonder who wrote them (obviously not someone who frequently grows from seed and has tried any different approaches besides the ones published in the guide). Never have I heard of transplanting seedlings in the 1st week...they're way too delicate. Some of them surely haven't even anchored their roots in yet a week after coming out of the seedcoat. Also, the pics they have on there say like "4 year old gracilis in a 10 cm pot".....10 cm is 4", and most of those plants look about half that. If you sowed gracilis seed, and four years later the plants are only 2 inches, something is really wrong with your cultivation technique.

Don't listen to ICPS. Listen to the people on pitcherplants, etc, that frequently grow from seed.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very cheap and use the old Chinese food plastic trays that come with takeout now. Perfect size for about a 1" layer of ground sphagnum. Also come with clear top that fits tight if added humidity needed. Have been working very good to germinate VFT's and Neps seeds. The price is right-free.
    Make sure to use ground sphagnum as seeds are much easier to transplant.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast