What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mother Nature knows best

In November, I ordered 2 Nepenthes diatas from...somehwere...and they were pretty much the same size with one or two pitchers on each. I decided to put them in different environments to see what happened. One went right into an tank without a lid on it and under CFs. The other was just tossed in front of a south window and left alone.

The window is directly over the heating vent and gets whatever sunlight NE Ohio may get. The tank is not near any furnace vent and gets bright artificial light for most of the day. The results?

2diatas.jpg

The plant on the right has been getting occasional sunlight and furnace heat...and is doing much better. The one under the light (plant on the left) has black leaf tips (it isn't very close to the bulb either). The only other difference is that the window plant is sitting in the plastic cup that was shipped over the plant. I use it to catch the water that drains out and add humidity, but the plant isn't in contact with the water. The plant in the tank is in a saucer (not filled).

So I've been trying to cram whatever plants I can fit in that front window. I'm keeping these two separate to keep the experiment going.

Well welcome to the window growers club. I've never had a lowland do well infront of a window unless it was in a tank with a extra heatsorce. But I grow all my highlands in SE facing windows that get about 6 hours of direct sunlight and have never had a problem with one yet. I also don't worry about the humidity levels for the window neps just make sure their well watered and you should see pitchers at least in spring and summer, though some will continue to pitcher though winter like N. eyeme.

Back