Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where to get Bicalcarata?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys wanna hear a funny story?

I got my first bical at about 5". That was over a year and a half ago, and today...it's about 8". My second bical I got a few months ago at about 2"....and its actually shrunk.

Meanwhile, all my other lowlanders have thrived/are thriving, quickly getting huge and throwing out a plethora of pitchers.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PK- Something must be wrong. Bicals always grow extremely fast for me. I've seen your plants from pictures and your Neps are awesome/good lowland conditions What size pot is your Bical in/maybe root bound. I always start my bicals in a 8" pot. The seedling I have now will get a repot to 12" pot in May. Bical requires large pot/appreciates overpotting. Mine is getting close to root bound now. Hope can make til May.
    Your 2" may just be a weak clone if it was TC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the larger one I have, I suspected root binding. I repotted it a couple months ago, and when I did, there weren't even that many roots. I mean...it didn't even have a system as extensive as viking. It was more or less comparable to any other nep I have. Its in an 8" pot thats 7.5" deep. I think I have some 1' pots out in the garage, but like I said, the root system is tiny (especially for bical). The smaller is in a 4" pot I think....?
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PK- I just looked at mine a couple of days ago. Just lifted a little out of pot before watering/roots everywhere. Are your Bicals TC or seed grown? I have only had this seed grown for a short time and as usual for me already getting huge with roots everywhere. Again I grow it extremely warm and humid even in winter. During summer temp at night never goes below 75F. Daytime temps 88-98F. This plant is in my large indoor lowland enclosure now but will be moved to my lowland greenhouse in a couple of weeks, almost done. I hope it will start to vine this summer, love Bical upper pitchers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine are both TC. In the winter, it's about 82ish during the day, 70 at night. In the summer its about 88-85 all the time. I really don't know the problem. One's in sphag (what it came in) and the other is in peat/perlite/lava rock. I'm honestly getting a bit irritated because everyone but me has huge awesome bicals lol. And with my conditions, you'd think they'd have gotten to that point by now.
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PK- Might be weak clones. Got my seed grown from a well known FL CP nursery. Try a seed grown/maybe Trying to grow it large. Had a Bical with about a 20' vine and 4' leafspan. Plant was huge/could not move. Lost when Hurricane Ivan totaled my greenhouse. I had 6' of water where my greenhouse used to be. I couldn't even find a piece to take a cutting from. Oh well, I like to grow small plants large.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lowii View Post
    Quote: "Anybody know where to get one?"
    At California Carnivores
    i contest....

again....dont mention other nurseries names. its considered competition to Andy's nursery.

i dont think there are any US nurseries that are selling bical at the moment.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123