What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello,
I have a big terrarium with all my nepenthes in it, they are N. Rajah, Sanguinea Blood Red, Highland truncata, Ventricosa x inermis, Mira and Ventricosa.The bottom is gravel, about an inch of peat for the moss to thrive on.(the plants are in pots)Since I know that bicalcaratas
love it hot and humid, I thought it would be a nice addition to my terrarium.
Anybody know where to get one?
Trades are also welcome.
Thanks,
Adrian

Well you can only say the forums shop :poke:

if you can get a rajah and bical to grow and pitcher together....then ill worship you. i really dont think its possible to grow both in the same place.

but back to the original question...i dunno. i havent seen them around much lately.
Alex

umm rajah is a highlander right well I think it likes night time drops in temperature.
get another tank mate!

growing highlanders and lowlanders int he same tank isnt bright.

as they are saying.
you cannot grow bical in a highland tank
BIG difference in its requirements.
your going to have to set up a lowlander tank for one.

Oh,
sorry I forgot to add that I move the rajah into another cooler terrarium at night along with
the other plants that require a drop in night-time temperatures.
By the way, the rajah is doing great and has 3 pitchers.
Thanks,
Adrian

Last edited:
that may not be wise as the plant will have to adjust to the conditions again thus creatin stress and could kill the plant... keep it in one place....

haha wow thats a big thing to forget to mention

I've had the plant for 5 months and it is showing NO stress at all and is growing and pitchering fine.
Thanks,
Adrian

3 pitchers in 5 months?! lucky!

anyways i tried the fridge at night thing and it dosent work(even though you say it does.) ive tried it with several neps and all showed signs of stress within days... a terrarium will have high humidity. a fridge does not and that is when highlanders need the humidity most.

Alex

When did I say I put it in the fridge?
I never tried that

i coulda sworn it said fridge....why dont you just keep it in the cooler terrarium then permenantly?

Alex

Can't grow Bical and rajah together. Rajah can't take the heat and Bical can't take the cold. You can kill Bical sometimes if temp drops below 55F. Rajah needs at least a temp drop to 55F nightly to grow for any length of time or it will croak. Would be better if yopu could get Rajah down to 50F, really pushing it for Bical.

Well...I have also an adult bicalcarata from 3 years and it is growing fine.
I have grown my plant in my house windowsill and also in terrarium.
All what I can tell is that I got 3 pictures in 3 months in the indoor terrarium and even outside I have no problem at all!
The Borneo Exotic Clone did really show a low humidity tollerant plant! Amazing!
BYe!

Mr_Aga
ITALY

I have two bicals and my GH gets down to 50. One is showing signs od cold stress with spotting of the leaves and such, the other is kicking along, but they both have slowed growth tremendously since it cooled.

Also jsut a note worth mentioning. Once Bicals get growing watch out they get HUGE. Your not going to be able to keep it in a terreium for long from what I have heard. Unless you consider a few years a long time. I have had mine for about a year and a half and I would still be able to fit them in a terreium, but then again I don;t think they have started really growing yet or I am not giving them optimal conditions yet either.

I have kept many Bicals over the years. Just 6 months ago got a seedling Red x Orange at 6". Today it is over 24" and has 8 open pitchers and more coming. My Bicals temp never goes below 60F. I have had Bicals. croak if kept to cold for to long. As far as humidity, Bical will acclimate to lower levels but for best growth I like 70% plus. Bicals pitchers will turn black and die pretty quickly if it doesnt like humidity.

You guys wanna hear a funny story?

I got my first bical at about 5". That was over a year and a half ago, and today...it's about 8". My second bical I got a few months ago at about 2"....and its actually shrunk.

Meanwhile, all my other lowlanders have thrived/are thriving, quickly getting huge and throwing out a plethora of pitchers.

PK- Something must be wrong. Bicals always grow extremely fast for me. I've seen your plants from pictures and your Neps are awesome/good lowland conditions??? What size pot is your Bical in/maybe root bound. I always start my bicals in a 8" pot. The seedling I have now will get a repot to 12" pot in May. Bical requires large pot/appreciates overpotting. Mine is getting close to root bound now. Hope can make til May.
Your 2" may just be a weak clone if it was TC.

With the larger one I have, I suspected root binding. I repotted it a couple months ago, and when I did, there weren't even that many roots. I mean...it didn't even have a system as extensive as viking. It was more or less comparable to any other nep I have. Its in an 8" pot thats 7.5" deep. I think I have some 1' pots out in the garage, but like I said, the root system is tiny (especially for bical). The smaller is in a 4" pot I think....?

PK- I just looked at mine a couple of days ago. Just lifted a little out of pot before watering/roots everywhere. Are your Bicals TC or seed grown? I have only had this seed grown for a short time and as usual for me already getting huge with roots everywhere. Again I grow it extremely warm and humid even in winter. During summer temp at night never goes below 75F. Daytime temps 88-98F. This plant is in my large indoor lowland enclosure now but will be moved to my lowland greenhouse in a couple of weeks, almost done. I hope it will start to vine this summer, love Bical upper pitchers.

Back