Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Nepenthes few Q.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That better-gro orchid moss from Lowe's is good stuff. You can put it on top of the peat/perlite mix to dress it up a bit, but it isn't really necessary. Just put like a half inch to an inch, depending on the pot size (keep it wet or it will look horrible and won't help with the local humidity). I wouldn't worry about the torn leaves, this happens all the time and the plant won't suffer from it especially at its current size. You can tear the remainder off now, or later once they dry up and die. I would probably just leave them there till they die off normally. As for the gnats, these pose no danger to the plant. In fact they will make a nice snack once some pitchers develop.
    - Daniel

Stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring life! neon-eon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bluebird, I wouldn't cut off the torn leaves until you get it acclimated and it's growing steady...make sure it's grown a few new leaves first... and that tendril looks like it should develpe a pitcher! show us a pic when it pitchers!

-Gabe
    -No matter what you do with your life, I still care about you. -Mr P.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be sure to not cut the leaves intill they dry up thanks for the tip and I've put the LFS around it looks pretty nice I'll be sure to keep it nice and moist when needed.

Yeah the picture of the tendril is the biggest one on the plant maybe I'll do a day by day picture or just weekly picture or something so once it's formed or starting to look like a pitcher I'll snap a few pics to show. =)

Thanks alot for the help I really appreciate it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepenthes View Post
    That better-gro orchid moss from Lowe's is good stuff. You can put it on top of the peat/perlite mix to dress it up a bit, but it isn't really necessary. Just put like a half inch to an inch, depending on the pot size (keep it wet or it will look horrible and won't help with the local humidity). I wouldn't worry about the torn leaves, this happens all the time and the plant won't suffer from it especially at its current size. You can tear the remainder off now, or later once they dry up and die. I would probably just leave them there till they die off normally. As for the gnats, these pose no danger to the plant. In fact they will make a nice snack once some pitchers develop.
    I know fungus gnats pose no threat, but their larva do or Nepenthes do fine if they have them?

I'm thinking of getting yellow sticky traps to controll them right now my mom had bought window fly catchers by a company called Aeroxon it's a clear color sticky trap that goes on the window not sure if this kind is good to use also I think I read somewhere that fungus gnats are attracted to the yellow color is that true?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only arthropods I ever do anything about are scale. Everything else I leave, but that's just me
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to take care of mealy bugs too phission. They are also sap suckers! Oh and if you get a mite infestation you may want to take care of them too. They can deform leaves.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I get are scale, fungus gnats, and some other tiny black flying things that don't seem to do any harm. I had spider mites once but they died and were only on one plant. I don't understand where people get all these awkward arthropods from. I don't even use insecticide or anything unless I need to, and I only get a scale outbreak once every year or so that only effects 1 or 2 plants.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12