What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few quick Nepenthes pictures

xvart

Doing it wrong until I do it right.
Staff member
Hey gang - I just borrowed a nicer camera and thought I would take a couple quick pictures of some of the recent growth on a couple of my Nepenthes.

The newest N. ephippiata pitcher that opened. This is the first "significant" amount of hairs on the inside of the lid:

DSCN2918.jpg

DSCN2921.jpg

My N. Sabre:

DSCN2914.jpg

And a nice little N. Red Dragon basal:

edit: deleted this picture on accident during my photobucket reorganization...

Cheers!

xvart.

Last edited:
awesome whered di you find red dragon?
cant wait till my ephippiata is bigger its growing like mad.

cant wait till my ephippiata is bigger its growing like mad.

I'm looking forward to it, too. There had been some slight "hair nubs" on the previous couple of pitchers so I was quite pleased with the amount on this one. It's only going to get bigger and better from here!

xvart.

Nice! I'm thinking about buying an Epphi soon too, since I lost that poor little mikeii :'(
Wanna give up your red dragon basal? Just kidding, great pictures. Nice plants. You should show your collection off more.

Nice N. ephippiata and N. x 'Sabre'!

Very nice Xvart.
thumbs_up.gif

I really like the N. x Sabre.
drooling2.gif

Awesome looking sabre. Love that red peristome.

I am particularly fond of the N. x Sabre, too. TM hybrids are probably my favorite hybrids because of the pitcher shape traits that are expressed in many of the hybrids. Of all my Nepenthes the N. x Sabre has the most pitchers. I attribute this to the hardiness of the plant when compared to the others in my poor temperature regulation in my apartment during the winter. I wish I had more of these - especially a 'Dark Cherry.'

xvart.

Last edited:
Great Neps xvart. The N. ephippiata is awsome, cant wait to see pics of it older.

I suppose it's time for an update. I've been inspired to borrow a camera by all the photos that have been posted recently. Unfortunately, due to being really sick and not having energy to get water, my plants have been fairly neglected the past few weeks and have dropped a good number of pitchers. I hope they have been creating massive root systems in the meantime!

N. Black Dragon - As this guy gets bigger I'm starting to like it more and more - still not outstanding (as you may have seen me mention on some other posts); but, it is redeeming itself. I am quite fond of the peristome/lid structure and the height between the two.

DSCN3450.jpg

DSCN3449.jpg

DSCN3448.jpg

N. alata "boshiana mimic" - this one dropped a couple pitchers in "the drought." I love the shape of the pitchers.

DSCN3435.jpg

DSCN3436.jpg

N. Red Dragon - Another one that is impressing more as it gets bigger. This latest pitcher is huge compared to the last one. The big pitcher just opened and I love the striped peristome! Too bad it will color up more as it ages...

DSCN3443.jpg

DSCN3440.jpg

DSCN3441.jpg

And and update on the two basals that are forming:

DSCN3511.jpg

N. 'Lady Pauline' - I'll probably be donating this one to the NASC auction.

DSCN3444.jpg

DSCN3445.jpg

DSCN3446.jpg

N. chaniana x veitchii - I got this a while back in a trade and this is the second pitcher it has formed for me.

DSCN3455.jpg

DSCN3454.jpg

N. Sabre - one of my favorites. I was especially sad to see this one lose so many pitchers... As I've said before, I love the TM influence on the pitcher shape.

DSCN3460.jpg

DSCN3458.jpg

DSCN3459.jpg

DSCN3457.jpg

Thanks for looking! Most of these I received in trades.

xvart.

Last edited:
Nice neps! Could i maybe see a pic of your entire grow rack setup?

Nice! That N. x 'Red Dragon' is starting to look really good!

Very nice Xvart! Your plants all look awesome. I too am a huge fan of 'Sabre', and other TM hybrids (my Sabre pitchers last forever too). I have high hopes for my Maxima x TM hybrid as well. I have a question about your 'Lady Pauline': What's up with the white hue on the pitchers? Is that a camera effect or is it like that to the eye as well? Thanks for sharing :).

Daniel

I have a question about your 'Lady Pauline': What's up with the white hue on the pitchers? Is that a camera effect or is it like that to the eye as well?

Daniel - Do you mean on the peristome? That is just the reflection of either the lights or the camera flash. The peristome seems to be slightly covered with a light coat of what I assume to be nectar; but, not to the dripping degree of some N. sanguinea and other pitchers you see. It's just a little "damp" and "moist."

xvart.

Daniel - Do you mean on the peristome? That is just the reflection of either the lights or the camera flash. The peristome seems to be slightly covered with a light coat of what I assume to be nectar; but, not to the dripping degree of some N. sanguinea and other pitchers you see. It's just a little "damp" and "moist."

xvart.

Nah, I'm referring to everything except the peristome. It seems like it has a whitish hue to it. Almost like a matte hue.

I see it to on the pitcher body. It looks fuzzy or something

Nah, I'm referring to everything except the peristome. It seems like it has a whitish hue to it. Almost like a matte hue.

I see it to on the pitcher body. It looks fuzzy or something

Ahhh... I'm picking up what you're throwing down, now. That is just because of the terrible ambient lighting in that room combined with my poor camera abilities. It doesn't look like that in real life.

xvart.

Great pics. I love those multicolored striped peristomes on the Red Dragon.
And great basal shots too.

Woo~ They all looking great!
Excellent nepenthes!!:-D
Duckking love N. Sabre.
Thanks to your sharing and update.

Back