What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windowsill growers - number of healthy pitchers at once?

nightsky

Lover of Mountains
I'm still fairly new to neps, and this is my first winter season with my windowsill grown neps. They are growing fine and pitchering, but most are still small, ie 6" leafspan or less. I notice in many of the nep pics I see that a single plant will have 5 or more open and healthy pitchers at once. I figure that maybe in the wild or a perfect greenhouse this is common. But, in the 9 months I've been growing my neps, I've noticed that not any of my plants has more that 3 pitchers at a time. Ventricosa: 3 pitchers, then as soon as the 4th pitcher starts to inflate, the oldest pichter is killed off, keeping it at 3.

Just today I noticed my sanguinea starting to inflate a 3rd forming pitcher, and sure enough tonight the oldest pitcher started wilting. Like I said, the plants appear healthy and otherwise fine, but I'm curious if this is normal for windowsill grown neps. I also wondered if maybe it's just a product of them being kinda small still. Maybe once they get some size they'll be more prolific? No biggie, but I like the look of lots of pitchers at a time.

And then there's my little bongso, I've never had more than one pitcher at a time on that one. But it's slow growing, I'm getting maybe one leaf every 12 weeks. Must be a TC mutant.

with winter here they are going to be few in numbers... once summer comes around there will be more at one time.
sanguinea orange-3
fusca sarawak-1
rafflesiana-1
clipeata x eymae-2
venticosa-4
spectabilis x ventricosa- 5
truncata HL-2
mira-has 2 on it now...but i recently cut a few. so it usually has around 4

Alex

not really windowsill perse..so I will remove my numbers.

ventrata - 0
miranda - 0
rafflesiana - 0 (just got it this week)
ampullaria - 0 (just got it this week)
It's kind of depressing growing a ventrata or a miranda that don't pitcher at all but are growing quite nicely

Well I have too may to list for all of them but my best are x Red Dragon, maxima, x Predator and 'Miranda' with 12, 11, 5 and 5 respectively and all others have between 5 and 1.

I have had many with pitchers,if you ever replace your window get a box window :D

As I recall, this window sill arrangement produced a goodly amount of pitchers during the summer:

IMG_4301.jpg

Ok looks like there's hope. Hopefully this summer will have some good results!

I get the same thing with most species, 1 or 2 pitchers at a time. My fusca currently has 4 though. Something about this plant makes it perfect for my shelf. Can't imagine what. also, 'sabre' had 5 in the summer. Here's how they are right now:
'sabre' O unless you count the fat, tiny-lid mutants that are basically spherical.
fusca 4
macfarlanei 1 (new plant, but looks like it'll be like fusca)
maxima 1
ovata 0
ventri x talangensis 0
talangensis 0
truncata 1 that never opened all the way...
pilosa x veitchii 2
rafflesiana 0
spectabilis 0
aristo 0
all the ones with 0s now are forming pitchers with the new gigantic MH I've added, except aristo and talangensis... predictably. Probably the biggest factor is light, followed by humidity.

My N. chaniana x veitchii has 5 pitchers open with 2 more on there way.

My N. Hamata has 2 with one on the way

ventrata - 0
miranda - 0

It's kind of depressing growing a ventrata or a miranda that don't pitcher at all but are growing quite nicely

Amen to that one. I'm in that boat right along with ya.

Back