What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

**sigh** i think i figured it out

My N. Madagascariensis refused to succesfully pitcher since i bought it.
after i moved the pot out today to check on the plant i noticed dozens of tiny insects scuttling all over the soil...i immediately assumed they were mites or something of the sort because of their appearence. however they were black.
i immediately repotted and washed the plant off and examined it as closely as i could.
i also checked all of the plants that were around it, and i found nothing else.
As far as the "second growth point" goes
it was a whole different plant.
which means i have 2 Madagascariensis. im pretty excited about that.
hopefully now that it is in better soil, and without any pests it will pitcher.
ive got my temps in the mid 70s over night and near 80 durring the day finally.

edit:the insects/arachnids w.e they were, were also on the base of the plant.

I doubt the soil surface bug critters have anything to do with non-pitchering.
how would they cause it?? they couldnt..
those little black bugs are common..they dont hurt anything, and you wont get rid of them.

99% of the time if a nep isnt pitchering, its because it doesnt have enought light.

Scot

i said i saw them scuttling around on the soil surface
i saw them gathering at the base of the nep as well
why else would i wash the plant off?
i wouldnt have wasted me time.
sorry if i sound a bit snappy.

You may want to check the humidity as well if it isn't pitchering.

N. madagascariensis is a pain in the rear to get to grow. I don't know what exactly its problem is, but of the 6 times I've tried it, absolutely nothing. I've given up on the species.It seems no one really has a good specimen of it in their possession, I've only heard stories and seen photos of it in the wild and I think of 2 plants in notable possession. Don't feel bad Sir Kristoff, its just one of those plants thats not cooperative!

I have little bugs in most of my soils as well (except for U. Sandersonii...wonder why?:-)) )

They are little tiny things, they're been there for months, but they seem to cause absolutly no harm, maybe they could be the same thing?

yes, i usually see springtails and such in many of my pots.
but these were not springtails, i know that for sure.
and ive had this madagascar for about 3 months now.

I have little bugs in most of my soils as well (except for U. Sandersonii...wonder why?:-)) )

Try putting some plugs of Utricularia in your pots. Problem solved, apparently.

xvart.

lol, i've been...:devil:

lol yeah xvart, i should throw some of my sandersonii in there.
the only problem is, the soil probably isnt good for utric and i dont want roots getting tangled lol.
the point is i dont see any more bugs and i checked the other pots near it. all is fine right now.

lol, darn, i thought it was a cool idea to get rid of substrate pests, lmao!

lol yeah
but right now my madagascar is so small it would get choked out in almost no time xD

Fungus gnats probably...although I doubt that would be the reason for a lack of pitchers...I have lot's of fungus gnats in my greenhouse, and they don't appear to be much of a problem...I've had my plants do strange things that I could never quite figure out...sometimes you just have to wait it out, other times your not so lucky. I used to have a beautiful N. Talengensis...it was perfectly healthy, and had just produced a beautiful pitcher...then I went into my greenhouse a few days later, and the whole plant was completley dead. I'm still grieving over that one lol...

urtics liek sandersonii and whatevr grow in lfs and whatever media other like pure peirlite

ITwon't let me edit the above post
Rplace with : "I have some growing in my nepenthes pots ,many terrestrial urtics are easy like sandersonii and they grow in alota idfferent medias"

trust me if they were fungus gnats i wouldnt have worried
but fungus gnats dont look like little spiders.

Maybe they are little spiders. Do you see an egg case anywhere?

urtics liek sandersonii and whatevr grow in lfs and whatever media other like pure peirlite

whajats width taht re u drunk?

trust me if they were fungus gnats i wouldnt have worried
but fungus gnats dont look like little spiders.

Can you give a detailed description of what you found? I dont grow neps but the other members can compare your description to problem bugs they have had.

they were mites.
and they are taken care of.

I did alota types sorry :(

Back