What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes mirabilis <"var tricot">?

EdaxFlamma

The Consuming Flame
Hello all!

I got a nice little portion of the N. mirabilis seed that was offered via the ICPS and it has been by far the most productive Nepenthes seed I have ever received! I have been watching them all very closely and upon my inspection the other day I found this little guy.

2269371306_5e6cb8eb37.jpg

(plant located in between the two blue markers)
2268581207_431054379d_o.jpg

2269371874_6cff36192a_o.jpg

Is it just me or does it appear that it has 3 cotyledons? The plant hasn't formed pitchers yet and I'm sure it is a N. mirabilis and not some weed. Each one of the three are all the same size so I don't think it is just a forked cotyledon and all the "leaves" are smaller overall in comparison to my other N. mirabilis seedlings.

Should this be something to keep an eye on? If this is a mutation could it perhaps show some other interesting characteristics later on or is this just a common fluke? I am new to Nepenthes seed so forgive me if this is a stupid question haha.

Thanks a bunch!
-J.P.

congrats on the germination!

its normal i have a few seedlings that have messed up cots too. one of my splendiana x truncata seedlings has 1 mormal one and the other is like 2 fused into one.

Alex

Well darn... Here I was thinking I had something super. haha

Regardless, I am ecstatic about the germination rate I've gotten with these! I just threw them on my normal CP mix and they went crazy (30+ seedlings). The truncata seeds on the other side of the pot still haven't done anything for me yet but I can't complain.

My thorelii x ? even with a heat mat only yielded ~5 seedlings out of about 150 seeds... 0.o They are massive seedlings though...

Oh well back to the growing tray...

Thanks!
-J.P.

After some time I think it is time for an update and a few questions. These two photos are of my pot of mirabilis and truncata seedlings. They have grown exponentially!

2411198932_f904279b38_b.jpg

2410371237_493d42c3f1_b.jpg

Tricot has been lost in the chaos...

When should I start thinning these guys?

(Right: truncata Left: mirablis)
Thanks!
-J.P.

Sooo cute. Somebody other then ICPS needs to offer seeds, I wanna give them a try

Very cool J.P. :). Lots of nice little babies you got there. I'm not sure when to start separating, but good luck with it.

Daniel

Wow, thats amazing! Good luck with them!
Feel like giving one up to make my day? :grin:

-Matt

Woah. It's going to be a little difficult to separate those N. truncata seeds!

xvart.

Separate the mirabilis now. Next time, unless you know the seed is really old, or someone else got poor germination, don't sow so densely ;)

Somebody other then ICPS needs to offer seeds

Dude, c'mon.

No, you just need to pay a teeny bit and support cp's worldwide and pay TWO DOLLARS for rare seed pakets. Sorry if thats too much to ask!

The neplings look good edax! hope they grow to be nice a awsome! :D

No, you just need to pay a teeny bit and support cp's worldwide and pay TWO DOLLARS for rare seed pakets. Sorry if thats too much to ask!

I read it as there just needs to be more seed in circulation.

xvart.

When I got the seed, it was already several months old so I didn't expect much. I also had tried seeds in the past and got literally no germination and the seed was supposedly fresh (as in harvested that week) so I didn't think anything about just laying down the seed. I'll remember that for next time though PK!

Guess I have a project for this weekend huh? haha So what you are saying is each plant should have it's own pot? *twitches at that though* Pluck out the stronger ones? Can't say I have ever had to thin Nepenthes or anything else for that matter. Any tips or suggestions? Now that I have all these little guys I don't want to make a bad attempt at repotting them and lose the batch.

Thanks everybody!
-J.P.

p.s. Not sure yet but I might have a few extras of the mirabilis in a few months time.

Last edited:
At this point I don't think it's necessary for each seedling to have an individual pot. You can probably put several in a bigger pot, just spread them around so they are not so clumped.

xvart.

Mini nep forest, cute.

I'll remember that for next time though JLAP!
I'm PK :D

Each plant doesn't need its own pot - way too early for that. I usually do something like this:
DSCN0124.jpg

N. insignis

Try to break as few of the roots as possible, but you should be ok in that regard since you potted in a peat-based mix. They won't really be entangled in anything except possibly other roots.

Pluck out the stronger ones? Can't say I have ever had to thin Nepenthes or anything else for that matter. Any tips or suggestions?

Just make sure to keep all the females. :p

xvart.

PhissionKorps I am sorry!! I was reading a PM from JLAP and I guess the name just transfered over in my head. I apologize...

Thanks for the pictures PK! I'm setting up a tray like that as we speak. I'll let everyone know how the repotting goes!

Thanks again for all the help everyone. I'll be sure to keep the pinks ones Xvart :p
-J.P.

phiss: the little runt seedling....do you root through those and not even bother growing them out? or do you keep them regardless? i have a few seedlings that are big and a few that are lik 1/6th smaller. and they are the same age too.
Alex

I'll keep it. It may have germinated much later than the others which is my guess. Could also be some amazing color form or natural hybrid or something.

ah. so expecting the unexpected i guess :) ill keep my little runts too. when is the time that your "supposed" to go through the seedlings and pick the best ones? like 1 year isnt it? i have a while to go then :)

Alex

Back