Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inorganic soil mix for Nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inorganic soil mix for Nepenthes

Hello,
    I am wanting to compose an all inorganic mix for my Nepenthes, based on the directions @: http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn...NepInorSub.htm
    And was wondering if anyone is using this mix, or using something similar? And where I can find all the ingredients for it? As I am having problems locating the product called Seramis here in the US. The product is made by a company based in the UK @ http://www.seramishydroponics.com/in...-clay-granules.
    I have sent them an e-mail to see if they had a US supplier, or if I could arrange to have it shipped to the States, but have yet to receive a reply. Could I substitute the Seramis for something else, like Aerolite? For the Lecaton expanded clay perls, I have ordered a product called LECA Stone (8-16mm). It was the closest thing I could find to it. And also about the lava gravel, can I use any kind of lava, or should it be the black kind? Because I was thanking I could buy a bag of landscaping lava, and use a hammer to brake it up. I can buy large bag of the red lava for less then $5.
    Any advice, or info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can grow them in anything you want that doesn't leach chemicals or too many nutrients. You could grow them in broken glass if you want to. or pieces of carpet, or plastic, or whatever. They're really not too picky about their mix, provided you can keep highlands drier and lowlands wetter. I grow neps in all sorts of nonsense. I use red lava rock, perlite (which is just another kind of lava rock...), vermiculite, clay pellets, a bit of hydroton, and charcoal. And that's the inorganic stuff. I also use peat, about 4 different kinds of wood, LFS as a topdressing, and some other stuff I can't think of ATM.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that Seramis the same as Fuller's earth? Kinda sounds like it......
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice phissionkrops! So I could substitute the Seramis without a problem then. Sweet! The main reason I was intrigued with using a mix like this, is because it would have excellent air circulation and water retention, and it would never brake down. This mix can be used over, and over again even after repoting.

@Fryster, hi from what I have read about Seramis, it is processed in much the same way as LECA Stone, but instead of being round granules as the LECA stone is, Seramis has irregular aggregates. Both products are fired at very high temperatures causing them to expand with thousands of air pockets. So Fuller's earth (oil dri/cat litter) would work as well! Thanks for the tip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the small red lava rock you can find at home depot, the expanded clay balls used for orchids/hydroponics, laterite (found at aquarium stores) and osmocote to grow a mirabilis for over a year. The plant grew well but eventually died from lack of watering. Probably not the best species to try the mix on, but it was what I had at the time.
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srduggins View Post
    I used the small red lava rock you can find at home depot, the expanded clay balls used for orchids/hydroponics, laterite (found at aquarium stores) and osmocote to grow a mirabilis for over a year. The plant grew well but eventually died from lack of watering. Probably not the best species to try the mix on, but it was what I had at the time.
    Thanks for the info! So I take it that this mix drys out really fast? I would need to water every day? When your N.mirabilis was growing in it, did it seem to grow better for you in this mix then if it where in an organic mix? Sorry for all the questions. I just want to be sure that an inorganic mix would be worth the extra expense, and time spent caring for. Oh yes, and the plants that I will be using this mix for are my, N.truncata, and N.sanguinea. Both plants are very young, and in a coconut chip/coco peat mix. Thank they would do alright? They are pretty tough plants.
    Thanks for the help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truncata would be perfect for that mix. I water my truncatas like....twice a month. Seriously.
    Both are in fir bark/perlite/charcoal
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    Truncata would be perfect for that mix. I water my truncatas like....twice a month. Seriously.
    Both are in fir bark/perlite/charcoal
    Sweet! Thanks for the tip! So truncatas like it a bit dryer then other Nepenthes ssp?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast