What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. hamata - how long did yours take to establish itself?

Cindy

Staff member
The species seems to be very touchy after being shipped bareroot (like Cephs) and sit there doing nothing for some time. I wonder how long it took for other growers to acclimatise their plants.

A month?

Three months?

Six months?

it took mine about 2 weeks, i've had it for almost a year now

Mine came from a nice perfect growing condition greenhouse, to my low humidity kitchen windowsill. It was growing new leaves in a month or so but took 3 months before it started to pitcher for me.

you want to hear something odd? try 2 years.......i got it as a basal about 6cm in diameter, all it did for 2 years was replace leaves as they got old and died, and produced a few pitchers here and there....nothing over a few cm tall........all the sudden about 6 months ago it starts growing like gang busters even though there was no change in conditions.....producing leaves faster than they were dieing, is getting awesome pitcher to leaf size ration.....all and all starting to grow like a weed..........usually i hear about them taking a few weeks to a few months......6 months on the long side.....mine is the only one ive heard of sitting around and pouting for 2 years, so its likely an EXTREAMLY abnormal case

I bought one Hamata about 6 months ago, and it is finally beginning to make pitchers, albeit after the leaves have been decreasing in size. The pitchers have been popping out quite quickly though. I bought another Hamata about 1.5 months ago and this Hamata only took less than a month to settle in and it has produced 2 pitchers since then, the second about twice as big as the first (about 1 and 2"). It is on its 3rd and it should be quite a decent size. Both Hamatas came potted, so I think it is just dependent on the particular clone you receive. Good luck :).

you want to hear something odd? try 2 years.......i got it as a basal about 6cm in diameter, all it did for 2 years was replace leaves as they got old and died, and produced a few pitchers here and there....nothing over a few cm tall........all the sudden about 6 months ago it starts growing like gang busters even though there was no change in conditions.....producing leaves faster than they were dieing, is getting awesome pitcher to leaf size ration.....all and all starting to grow like a weed..........usually i hear about them taking a few weeks to a few months......6 months on the long side.....mine is the only one ive heard of sitting around and pouting for 2 years, so its likely an EXTREAMLY abnormal case

sorry for you I got mine and it took about a motnh to settle in and made a new pticher for me
and a new leaf and its forming a new pticher
DSCF2116.jpg

DSCF2112.jpg

Woh~ beautiful pitcher!:-D
Only a mouth?! It was amazing!
Thanks to your photos.

D_muscipula: What are your growing conditions for the N. hamata?

Hey Cindy,

I find it depends on the clone. My first hamata was from BE and took about 6 months before it really settled in though I put part of that down to me as it was one of a group that was my first jump into highlanders.

I also have 3 different Wistuba clones. One settled in pretty much instantly, one took about 2 months to settle in on the kitchen windowsill and the other is still working at it now so that makes it about 3 months, maybe 4...

I definitely love these guys and look forward to the opportunity to get one.

Thanks

John, in about a year yours should look like mine, better even if you don't get thripes...considering we get them from the same place :)

DM's uninsulated cold room like 50 drops nightly with a humid tank (thats why you see the adelea forestery) must be optimum conditions.

Hey Cindy,

I find it depends on the clone. My first hamata was from BE and took about 6 months before it really settled in though I put part of that down to me as it was one of a group that was my first jump into highlanders.

I also have 3 different Wistuba clones. One settled in pretty much instantly, one took about 2 months to settle in on the kitchen windowsill and the other is still working at it now so that makes it about 3 months, maybe 4...

pyro.....could u pls tell which of the clones is the easiest?? what is the clone number? Just for future reference. :-D ;)

Hey Cindy, I figured I would take a couple pics of my Hamatas... The one on the left settled in in less than a month and formed the two pitchers in about a month. The one on the right took about 5 months to settle in and created 4 baby pitchers within a month and a half. The leaves however have started shrinking, but I think this might be due to repotting stress combined with the fact that it had previously not had any pitchers for nutrients. Anywho, I think it is very interesting that both Hamatas can react so much differently in different growing conditions. They are both BE clones, but they must be from different TC clones.

HamatasSidebySide.jpg

HamataCobrplantWhole.jpg

HamataOrchidwebWhole.jpg

D_muscipula: What are your growing conditions for the N. hamata?

okay
the pitcher in the back is the oldest and the one in front is the newest one and you can see int he second picture that it is forming a new pitcher.
when the lid opens up the peristome is apple green so I wait a few days to take pics cause it colors up.
its in high humidity like 70-80 percent and believe it or not its growing well udner this light
terarium001.jpg

thats 18" fixture its like a 15 watt and hamata is growing under it it defies believe thought it was weak and was barely enough for my adelae.
:0o:

I got my plants in December and they are not growing at all. The old leaves are not dying either. I just hope that they are just putting their energy to growing new roots. :0o:

Both are from BE and I am not sure if they are different clones or not.

man! Those hamatas are just spectacular. WOW!!!! Damn! I would love to get one myself.

thats 18" fixture its like a 15 watt and hamata is growing under it it defies believe thought it was weak and was barely enough for my adelae.
:0o:

It doesn't defy belief. N. hamata grows slowly enough that it hasn't had time to show that it's not getting enough light yet. Unless you've got it next to a window or something, that's not enough light. Get three more of them.

vraev, Nep,

I do not know if I actually bothered to keep track of which clone was which but I'll check.

Back