User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I want to make an ultrahighland chamber, and have some questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the ultimate freezer chamber would be one of those big commercial ice freezers. where you take out the bags of ice

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considered getting a 5 amp power supply that is 12 volts DC then doing a peltier maybe in a cooler ?
    Just thinking....

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at that cooler again. It says it gets 39 degrees below the temperature outside the cooler, so really all I have to do is keep the room temperature no higher than 76 degrees, and that's pretty hot so I'd do that for my own comfort anyway. Is my thinking on this correct?

Someone mentioned that hot lights would heat it up fast during the day, but if I got a Third thermostat (another 55 bucks hehe) That wouldn't really be a problem if I set it to come on if the temps get above 65. I mean I hope that won't happen but if it does, it does. I am worried about the light melting the plastic lid.

I'm not going to start on it right away; I've got to save up first. I don't want to buy a part here and there, I want to go ahead and get everything at once. I'm in no hurry. I didn't decide I'd do this until yesterday (although I had been planning to do it well into the future) so I've got about 50 bucks currently lmao. Thanks for the offer on the lights, Jayson, but a 96 watt PC fixture that's just 20 inches long seems like a perfect fit for a cooler that's only 21.75 inches long. Unless you've got PC lighting, and want to trade it for plants, of course hehe.

TrippleX is quite right, I was going to do this so I could be growing these slow plants in the meantime and get a head start. Eventually they will outgrow this setup, and by that time I should (hopefully) have quite a bit of space for a large chest freezer. Something like 25 cubic feet unless I can find a larger one. If they ever outgrow that in my lifetime (I hope not), I'm not sure what I'll do. I guess I'll have to buy a walk-in freezer for ten grand, and by that time I'll be a rich doctor and can afford it if my lifelong dream goes according to plan! What else COULD you do for a large N. villosa? Cut it? After all those years? Ahahahahahahahahahaha. Not I, monsieur.

JM, what you just described is what I'm doing, except the peltier-cooled cooler is prefabricated and it has multiple peltier units.

Nepfreak, I read that yesterday; I just with it had pictures

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a friend who was thinking about experimenting with some peltier units in his grow area. However, I think he realised that the efficiency seems really uncertain and decreases greatly in magnitude as one moves away from the unit.....so the temp drop overall won't be too great due to the humid mass of warm air sitting with the plants in the cabinet shaped region of the enclousure.

For assured Villosa growing techniques: Used by the legendary Dr. Jeff Safer, Jeremiah Harris, that cooler is the right way to go.

And LOL! JLP?? u kidding me dude? No way the heat from that PC lighting will melt the plastic. Lol! Ok! Listen to this. In my setup.....the plastic sheet of my enclousure TOUCHES the CFL lights in the desk lamps and this one gets insanely HOT. I almost feel that it melts the plastic as I try to move the plastic apart....but NO! the plastic is fine.

Now you will be using like a sheet of plexiglass or very very clear plastic that is like atleast an inch or so thick?? No way lighting even if RESTING on top can melt that. Yeah! if you want to add a HPS to the mix...then maybe. lol!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, they used freezers, and I'm hoping a cooler will be just as good, although more expensive for the size, and quiet. I really want quiet.

I was thinking about how easily it would be to silicone glass (my preference because of scratches) or even acrylic to the inside of the lid over the rectangular hole for the light, because I know polypropylene is pretty glue-resistant.

EDIT: Well, that settles it. I guess I'll have to buy a freezer. I looked up reviews of thermoelectric coolers, and while a few people said they were great, most people said they were pieces of crap and didn't last long. Well crap. I guess I should invest in some headphones, too. If it's too good to be true, it probably is lmao.

This is the smallest chest freezer I can find. It's a brand I've never heard of. I looked for reviews but couldn't find any. But it DOES have a one year limited warranty. Of course once I cut up the lid it won't apply, but the fact that it has a warranty must mean it's not crap, right? I would go with a brand name freezer if I could find one as small as this, but can't.

This website sells it cheaper. $150 with free shipping (how can they ship something so heavy for free?)
    http://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/pro...=07-48697779-2

The interior is 11 inches by 17 inches. Tiny. I can fit one dozen four inch pots (a squeeze but doable!), or (my preference) six five inch pots. It says it has a defrost drain. I don't really know what that is.... but it could be good or bad. Good for easy draining of excess water (instead of pumping it out), bad because it could leak (or maybe not?)

I look forward to hearing any thoughts. I DID make 40 bucks organizing legal papers for five hours for my mom, though! Now just 350 more dollars

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123