What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. spectabilis shot

Hello all,

Just wanted to share a picture of my N. spectabilis' new pitcher. Out of my (admittedly small) collection of Nepenthes, I think this one produces the most beautiful pitchers.

n_spectabilis.jpg

Oooh very nice indeed :). That macro shot is just spectacular. Is this the North Sumatra form? If not which form is it? Thanks for sharing :).

BTW, which camera did you take that spectacular shot with? Very nice.

Yes, Very nice! I would like to know the camera as well.

Big mouth pitcher... yup, that's John! :-))

Thanks for the compliments. I'm not sure which form it is, it was sold to me as just "n. spectabilis".

This shot was taken with a Canon 20D with a Canon 100mm macro lens on a tripod with a remote shutter release. Mirror lockup and manual focus were used. No special lighting, just the grow lights in my plant rack (2 x T8's, daylight spectrum).

That looks great great color. I like the pitchers with the green/red/black colors. Good job dude.

Josh

Brilliant shot. Gotta love that striped/toothy peristome *drools*

I love this species. Would you happen to have a shot of the entire plant?

Awesome! I just got a big North Sumatra Spectabilis and now I can't wait to see it pitcher!

Wow! Very nice shot! Thanks for posting. I have been wanting to get one of those for my collection does anyone now of a good online source?:-D

I love this species. Would you happen to have a shot of the entire plant?

Here's a quick shot of the entire plant. It's a relatively small plant in a 4" pot. That's the magic of the macro shot... :)

spectabilis_whole.jpg

Beautiful! Thanks for the full-plant shot.

What are your conditions?

My Nepenthes are on a metro shelf in front of a large NE facing window. I'm using a pair of 32w daylight T8's with a timer set for 16 hour photoperiods, with the bulbs about 6" away from the soil surface. I also hung a sheet of reflective material on the side of the shelf opposite the window.

Temps are whatever it is in the house. The lights add a noticeable amount of warmth during the day, and being near a large window adds a little extra cooling at night. These days, that comes out to low 70's during the day, low 60's at night. My Nepenthes are watered twice a week with RO/DI water and fed mealworms once a week.

Excellent Shot! and beautiful color.:-O
Thanks for sharing. that's awesome!

Damn. I've been putting off ordering anything and this was one plant that I was going back and forth with...until seeing your freakin' pics. So yes, I caved and caved instantly and ordered one! Nice work...doubt mine will do that well but you've given me hope with your average house conditions. Just gorgeous.

Nice colors on that bad boy. I'm wondering if the leaves always that color, is that good? Here is a shot of mine (it's only made one small nice pitcher for me) I thought I might be watering it to much let me know what you think (over water or thats a good color)?

Josh

DSC00349.jpg

Looks nice to me. I could be wrong, but I think the coloring is due to the plant being happy about the lighting conditions.

Back