What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dinner guest

nightsky

Lover of Mountains
I was watering my CP's out on the balcony tonight, and in the process noticed my Ventricosa was enticing a guest over for dinner, er, to have for dinner. This was awesome to watch, as I've never actually seen my nepenthes 'catch' anything. I just will happen to notice something in its belly after it's already been caught. Now my sarracenia - well they seem to catch anything within a mile radius so I regularly see victims fall into the pitchers on those.

Anyway, this fly was so taken by the nectar he didn't seem to mind my camera 'all up in his grill' one little bit. He just bobbed back and forth, sucking down all the ale he could get his soon to be slippery paws on. At one point, he was nearly entirely inside, and effortlessly climbed back out. I thought at that point it was over and he'd fly away. But nope, he was getting greedy and kept slurping it up. After about 5 minutes, he made his way to the base of the hood, and then scooted down towards the opening. In the blink of an eye he was taking a swim! It was really great to see nature at work, a plant fooling this fly. The fly is now starting his journey in becoming one with the plant. Here's a couple pics!

Ventfly1.jpg

Ventfly2.jpg

Ventfly3.jpg

i'm surprised the fly didn't fly away when you were taking pictures

I saw my Hamata catch a couple ants that were licking up necter on the pitcher, but for you to get a fly? what luck you had a camera nearby :)
great pics!

VERY cool pics nightsky :). The fly is crystal clear in all the pics. Thanks for sharing.

very cool, some ants swarmed my nepenthes spectabilis last night.

Great pics I'm so envious of your camera :X

Very nice photography. :)

I had a ventrata with pitchers filled to the top with bees one summer. It was awesome.

Back