What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hamata update and my new HL truncata

DSCF2348.jpg

DSCF2480.jpg

DSCF2481.jpg

and here is my new highland truncata which I got yesterday and "oh look at the ant."
DSCF2493.jpg

DSCF2495.jpg

Wow! that hamata is loving your conditions. Well done. :D Nice truncata as well. I need to grab me a nice HL truncata too. ;) loL! and probably hamata before that.

Wow i really like your Hamata what do you use for growing conditions for it?

its under an 18" fixture from the goodwill,it's in a ten gallon.
here is a pic of its lighting its a 15 watt
terarium001.jpg

I think it's nuts that a N. hamata can thrive under such low lighting conditions. I guess I sometimes forget that most Nepenthes enjoy filtered light in the wild. Perhaps it's this misconception that has led to the death of countless tropical pitcher plants under my haphazard care!

Most neps experience very high light in the wild. Lots of pics from wild populations are in full sun for lowlanders. Highlanders usually grow in "filtered light", but "filtered" at 2000m = full at 0m.

Totally agree. Its really strange that the hamata is thriving with nice succulent looking leaves with nice big pitchers in such low light. My bical used to make small pitchers till I added a new 27 watt and the the pitcher size went up by double and leaves became nice, thick and sturdy.

BTW....the size of the pitcher is a nice predictor of the conditions. As u can see that pitcher is more than double the size of the leaf it originates on. Which means it definitely loves the light.

And that's what so nuts. I guess it goes to show you that what works for one person may not work at all for another. I've gotten much better at growing Neps in recent years, but I'm nowhere near mastering the art of their cultivation.

yes, DM, you drive me crazy by growing a hamata like that. You and cp dude...

15 watts what! I got 130 on mine and it's growing so slow.

Unless he gives it supplemental lighting, like a window at the minimum, it won't work. 15 watts is nothing.

Do you use a window? I MUST KNOW lol :-D

Ohhhh~ My Nepenthes God!!:0o: Hahaha~
Excellent hamata! My friend.

Unless he gives it supplemental lighting, like a window at the minimum, it won't work. 15 watts is nothing.

That's what I'm sayin'. I grew some Neps quite successfully in a small terrarium with two 15-watt fluorescent tubes, but I can't imagine a setup with any less light being very effective.

yeah it shocked me to, its one of those 17 dollars bulbs its like 6000 kelvin idk what the lumens are.
I bought the bulb when I first started growing cp's I mistook kelvins for lumens and grabbed it but now I wonder if it has anything to do with hamata.
I have another fixture just like it and I want to double my light but do you think adelae will react I mean its only another 15 watt, but the other bulb is a normal one but its like 3000-4000 lumens.

yeah I shouldn't have said anything about my lighting because I knew I'd get naysayers who say you can't do that despite the fact that I've been doing it since December and the plant is fine.
Do you use a window? I MUST KNOW lol :-D

no but when its gets to be 6-7 inches in diameter I am going to acclimate it to low humidity and grow it as a window sill nep, move it into a tank with better lighting and gradually expose it to the section of my four foot that gets some full sun and then move it to my window.
yes, DM, you drive me crazy by growing a hamata like that. You and cp dude...

I'm fairly new to the cp hobby to, I have been growing plants for about a year now.

Four posts in a row? Really?

Not that it has anything to do with this current situation, but since its the end of March, "since December" is nothing on a nep time scale, especially for highlanders. Unless of course, you meant, "since December....06"

Umm why did you post 4 times and type compressed a bunch!?!?! lol whatever have fun with that

Back