What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nothing too special/rare, but oh well. Most of my stuff is lollygagging around and generally being slow.

DSCN0100.jpg

N. unknown. More than likely has some maxima I think.

DSCN0035-1.jpg

Alata var. boschiana mimic

DSCN0024-1.jpg

Just testing out my macro capabilities. Guess I have spiders lol. This is [Splendiana x [(stenophylla x lowii) x (Rokko x veitchii)]]. Seeds from JK. I have about 30 of these. The biggest one is only about a little over 1"...I forget how old they are.

DSCN0103.jpg

Seed grown tobaica. Good grower in LL conditions, as you can see.

DSCN0104.jpg

This is either thorelii (d) x truncata or thorelii x truncata (c). I can never remember and I've long since lost the tag. Pitcher from a basal.

DSCN0102.jpg

Newest 'black dragon' pitcher. This plant has greatly speeded up after I removed the basal it had when it was only about 3" across (I think Andy has the basal now). These pitchers keep getting bigger and better.

DSCN0110.jpg

Campanulata. Have to be careful acclimating this one, I think.

DSCN0101.jpg

Veitchii seedling from EP I got by way of Sunbelle. I have admittedly been growing it in way too low light (just fixed that though!). The pitchers are getting squatter with a thicker peristome. Though you can't really see it, there is a little faint pink peristome striping, and pink spots in the throat. When grown in high light, this plant has nice pink wings.

Last but not least:
DSCN0105.jpg

This is my miracle story of the year. I got this merrilliana with 6 leaves, and it looked like it wasn't in such good condition. The leaves were mostly yellow, and the newest was much smaller than the rest. The plant started to sag and curl, which made me think the roots were dead and it wasn't getting any water. I took an emergency cutting, which quickly rotted on me lol, and I thought with only 3 half leaves, the plant would surely die. Instead, it surprised me with 3 new growth points, and is obviously coming back with a vengeance.

Might add a couple more later.

nice! cant wait for after the army! hopefully i can get some cps goin then

Nice i really like you nepenthes i definetly need to expand my N. growlist lol

How are you growing your Nepenthes in a peat/perlite mix?

Nice lowlanders Phission. I'm especially enjoying your 'Black Dragon', although I was under the impression that it's an intermediate Nepenthes. Seems like it's doing well in your higher temperatures.

My basic mix is 5:2:2 peat/perlite/vermiculite.

The alata is in basic + a couple of pieces of lava rock.
Seedlings are in basic + some bark.
Tobaica, veitchii, and Black Dragon are in aged fir bark, charcoal, and perlite.
Thorelii hybrid and campanulata are in nothing but the basic mix, though the campanulata has some horticultural lime added in (and it looks like a few pieces of bark snuck in there somehow).
Now, the merrilliana....its in the basic mix, fir bark, charcoal, hydroton, I think a couple of pieces of sphag, and some styrofoam packing peanuts. I was running out of everything and just threw a random mix together. It's really perfect for the species in my opinion (merrilliana likes it a bit drier than most LLs), but it's too complicated for me to use often.

Most of my neps though are grown just in the basic mix.

nice campanulata and that red dragon. :) I need to order one of those from wistuba. :(

Few more, mostly highlanders/intermediates I grow LL. Leaf size and general health is great, though the pitchers are a bit smaller and less colorful than they would be in cooler conditions:

N. Giant Tiger from Capslock:
DSCN0112.jpg

veitchii and dyeriana chillin
DSCN0115.jpg

I got this as 'wittei', but that's not what it is. Dave Evans said it was most likely albo x fusca when it was much smaller, and the more it grows out, the more that seems correct:
DSCN0118.jpg

spathulata x maxima:
DSCN0120.jpg

which is flowering:
DSCN0121.jpg

"ventricosa". Probably really vent x gracilis:
DSCN0123.jpg

which is also flowering:
DSCN0122.jpg

chaniana x veitchii that just opened:
DSCN0116.jpg

fusca 'sarawak' (I'll probably have one or two of these to give out soon):
DSCN0114.jpg

Red Leopard:
DSCN0113.jpg

Very impressive!

VERY nice PK.......

looking really good! :) Hows the campanulata doing? is it easy....hard??

I actually have a Q for ya PK:

How come the newest leaf on your campanulata is sooo much smaller than the older leaves? Is it heat stress?

Keep up the good work! Thumbs up!

Josh

super ultra great pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone.

V,
It's easy, as long as you carefully acclimate it. The consensus on that plant seems to be that you have to take special care until it sets in, but then it starts to grow like gangbusters. I kept a bag over it for about 2 weeks, and kept it in pretty low light. Consequently, it didn't even lose any pitchers or anything. I think the leaf is so small because that's the one it made right when I got it. I think due to stress of shipping and repotting, it just opened up prematurely. The leaf it's making now is about 2x as long as that and not unfurling yet.

I also grow this plan in my standard mix + horticultural lime. If anyone else gets this plant, my advice is to not mess with figuring out the proper ratio of lime, etc, and just pot in sphag or lava rock or something. The plant doesn't need the lime to grow, but probably won't do too great in a peat-based media (too acidic).

Yeah, that's pretty much what my campy looks like too - same situation. Good growing! The thorellii 'Giant Tiger' looks happy.

Capslock

Very nice PK! That Fusca Sarawak is looking pretty good. When did your chaniana x veitchii lose its peristome striping? Thanks for sharing.

Daniel

Thanks Caps,
That pitcher just opened, and it has a couple more inflating all at once. It finally got used to my conditions and is taking off. Also, in the winter, it was getting temps in the low 60s sometimes, so I didn't really water it much for a couple months. Now it gets to proper amount of water, and my chamber is about 90F during the day lol. That's reassuring to hear that about you camp. I think both of ours just need some time and they'll be off.

Nepenthes,
The best part is I treat it just like a lowlander (I even grow it in my peat-heavy lowland mix). I was given the plant this summer to experiment on, but the only flower it had died before it fully developed (wasn't rooted yet). I've got 3 plants from the original cutting, and the original is about a foot long now. Seems to be one of those plants that just doesn't care. The chaniana x veitchii still has peristome striping, but this pitcher just opened a day or so ago, and it is hidden behind and between pots, so it doesn't get very much light.

Sehr schön! Deine Pflanzen sieht sehr ausgezeichnet aus.

This is just a general question but, are there any signs that a nep is going to flower? I had mentioned to somebody that one of mine was slowing down, and getting very woody, and he said perhaps it is getting ready to flower. Now that a new leaf has started to grow, I noticed that it kind of looks like the pictures you posted.

And BTW, really nice x Black Dragon and Sarawak. You really do grow superb plants.

Back