What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pectinata x truncata pics?

In a drunken stupor I ordered one of these last night without having seen a pic lol. It sounded like a cool cross, but I can't find photos of pectinata x truncata, the reciprocal, or gymnamphora x truncata, or the reciprocal. I guess the closest I could find was vent x pectinata.

Thanks in advance if anyone can find me a pic.

Yeah. It's not on there, which is why I asked. I'm hoping someone grows it, but it sounds like this is a newer cross and not that many people have it.

I could find no pictures of splendiana x (veitchii x tiveyi) either, hey take a pic when you get it and then email the guy so he can add it to the photofinder.

thats because splendiana x (veitchii x tiveyi) was a very newly created cross. the seeds you received were the first ever of that hybrid. so bigger plants wouldnt have appeared in photos.

pectinata x truncata, as i guess again haha, a squater, toothy truncata with spots. thats just what i see it as. and truncated leaves :)

Alex

I'm hoping for something as pectinata-looking as possible that will actually grow for me.

I'm far from an authority on nep hybrids (or anything else cp related) but most truncata mixes i've seen look pretty truncataish. Maybe you'll get lucky though and it will lean towards the pectinata parentage

It's true truncata tends to be quite dominant, regardless if its the pod or pollen parent. Maybe I'll end up with a long, cylindrical pectinata? I sure hope so.

thats because splendiana x (veitchii x tiveyi) was a very newly created cross. the seeds you received were the first ever of that hybrid. so bigger plants wouldnt have appeared in photos.

pectinata x truncata, as i guess again haha, a squater, toothy truncata with spots. thats just what i see it as. and truncated leaves :)

Alex

:woot: Thanks again to the person who gave them too me, I am planning on giving some to a nursery here so they can sell them and maybe in a couple years it will be more common in cultivation.

It's true truncata tends to be quite dominant, regardless if its the pod or pollen parent. Maybe I'll end up with a long, cylindrical pectinata? I sure hope so.

I think lowwi is dominant in lowii x truncata but it still gets huge just resembles lowii more.

Last edited by a moderator:
What did I say about double posts?

I think lowwi is dominant in lowii x truncata but it still gets huge just resembles lowii more
I never said truncata is dominant in every single cross. To make a blanket statement in Nepenthes culture is to look an eventual fool. Regarding the pitchers, the size and to a lesser degree shape comes from truncata. Since pitchers don't mean much for taxonomy's sake, please review the leaves of this hybrid, as compared with parent species. Then look at their attachment to the stem, overall growth habit, etc. You'll find it takes more after truncata than you think by looking at the pitchers.

In a drunken stupor I ordered one of these last night without having seen a pic lol. It sounded like a cool cross, but I can't find photos of pectinata x truncata, the reciprocal, or gymnamphora x truncata, or the reciprocal. I guess the closest I could find was vent x pectinata.

Thanks in advance if anyone can find me a pic.

Whoa! I've done a lot of things and girls while drunk but never done that before.

Here's what it looks like...pitcher is a bit dirty but oh well:
DSCN0208.jpg

Whoa! I've done a lot of things and girls while drunk but never done that before.

Lol... yeah I have done a couple drunk orders too. It's safer than drunk girls lol, though I think we have all learned that lesson. I think getting drunk somehow convinces you that you can spend more money on plants than you actually have money or room for lol.

BTW that's a pretty interesting cross there Ron. I'm interested in seeing how it looks in a few months :).

Daniel

It looks pretty interesting hope you like it :-D

You can grow pure N.pectinata as a lowlander, the trick is finding a clone from a lowland population. In clarke's nepenthes of sumatra, N. pectinata and N. xiphioides are lumped under N. gymnamphora, which has altitudinal range is 600m-2800m. Within the N. gymnamphora "complex", only N. xiphioides blatantly sticks out as different. It comes from the upper altitudinal ranges given for N. gymnamphora, and is a tiny, weak, plain-looking plant that needs constant cold nights and ridiculously high humidity. Growers often complain that their N.xiphioides plant hasn't pitchered in a year but usually quiet down becasue they realize its just a freaking N. xiphiodes and will never look impressive. For the reasons stated, I've never grown one. N. pectinata, on the other hand, is very hard to tell from N. gymnamphora. I know certain clones of N.gymnamphora can be grown as lowlanders (the one from black jungle is supposed to be particulary warmth-tolerant). I think N. pectinata is the same way.

I've never seen N. pectinata x truncata. It sounds like a cool hybrid.

(the one from black jungle is supposed to be particulary warmth-tolerant)

AHHHH!! **Shrieks like a girl in unbridled horror** Thou shall not utter the evil ones name.

So, PK, are you pleased or disappointed? Or too early to tell?

xvart.

Pleased I suppose, we'll see....
Sounds like it should be a good one. Didn't know the BE gymnamphora is sort of heat tolerant...maybe I'll get one.
For me, telling gymnamphora and pectinata apart aren't entirely too hard. When I think of gynamphora, I think of the plants from Talakmau (the ones everyone's used to seeing). Pectinata seems more elongated, red, less toothy, etc. I guess its the "Gymnamphora of Sumatra".

Back