Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on N.'trusmadiensis'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most TC plants are male. The ratio in the wild is something like 5:1 male to female. If you looked at TC plants available now and tried to extrapolate how the ratio is in the wild, it would make us think the ratio is something like 200:1 male to female. That's a little bit ridiculous. Seed grown material ftw

My experiment had some highs and lows lol. I wrote up a little article and sent it into the CPN. I think it'll go in the "news and views" section though. Unfortunately, it didn't make it into this issue, so we'll have to wait 3 months and see if it is in the next.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bianchi914 View Post
    In a year or so the price will drop and you all will be sad at the whole it put in your pocket books
    Consider the cost of Hamata, and just how long that plant has been in Tissue Culture (My last one was around 100$). Particularly nice hybrids/clones will always be expensive because of demand. Even if you consider Wistuba's Hamatas, the price is still high when you factor in the conversion rate of Euros to USD and even then you will receive a small plant fresh out of TC.

Daniel
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ven if you consider Wistuba's Hamatas, the price is still high when you factor in the conversion rate of Euros to USD
    Don't forget to factor in having to order multiples because of their high mortality rate....
    (his plants in general, not just hamata)
    Oh, lol @ pinky nail sized TC plants....
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know i will wait and hope i guess for pirces to drop down a little anything is better than $100. Also does "His" the guy with a W have a high mortality rate or something when he is shipping plants? Just wondering

-Ryan
    My Grow List: Working on building it back up!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got newb syndrome. You see these fantastic plants and want to grow them all, but the problem is you aren't ready, regardless of price. Don't take that the wrong way.

They have a high mortality rate because Germany is far away, and his plants are usually laughably small. Since Wistuba is in Germany, you can talk about them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm ok... well do you have any recommendations on medication i can take for the noob syndrome?
    My Grow List: Working on building it back up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Accidentally posted this reply in another thread:

It's just something about the plants. A considerable number (way too high to be forgivable IMO) die within a few weeks, even in the hands of very experienced growers.

The fact that Germany is far away is not a factor at all IMO. Sri Lanka is further away, and sometimes BE plants spend weeks in transit, and arrive fine with minimal losses. Same thing with EP, which is also much further away than Germany.
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it has anything to do with distance as PK says. it has everything to do with the conditions the plants have been growing in. Most BE plants are hardened for a yr+ before being sold and then they are sent to distributors who grow them in our local climates. Hence, by this time the plant has had time to adjust, build a good root system and so on. However, wistuba plants are good.....but, the problem is that they aren't hardened too well or to put it correctly, they aren't hardened for too long. The plants that have been hardened for longer cost significantly more as well.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast