Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on N.'trusmadiensis'

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with distance as PK says.
    I'm sure distance might have something to do with it, though...

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    I'm sure distance might have something to do with it, though...

xvart.
    Well of course the shorter a plant has to travel without it's growing conditions the better it will do in the long run... wouldnt you think
    My Grow List: Working on building it back up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well distance does make a difference, but I think PK meant that it is not the cause for the high mortality rate seen in Wistuba's clones. I too have heard from quite a few experienced growers that his clones have a high mortality rate. As Vraev mentioned, the clones simply have not been hardened off long enough and are still very immature when they are shipped out, causing them to be extra sensitive to climate changes.

Daniel
    - Daniel

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly as Daniel says! thats what I mean.....the factor of the plants being hardened to soil conditions IMO is a lot more important than the distance factor. yes! the plants are staying in the packaging for long....but when we had our nepenthes group order from BE in canada it took like a week to finally get all the plants...Even expert growers say that neps can stay alive in properly packed conditions for nearly 2 weeks without significant issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have placed numerous orders with Wistuba over the years and other than the first order, have had no losses. Most of his plants are fresh out of TC. Because of this you need tremendous patience with acclimatization. I keep them at very high humidity for the first 4 - 6 months to establish, and then slowly acclimate to lower levels. This has seemed to work for me over time but I am very patient.
    My first order with Wistuba I did lose about half the plants ( believe I ordered 8 different species) but I believe that was due to my inexperience and not understanding TC plant acclamation.
    Wistuba has some very hard to get species at reasonable prices. But these plants are very small and TC plants do seem to grow slower at first. I have no problem with that as I love to grow out small plants. I am also very patient and have waited up to 2 years for a plant to acclimate and grow pitchers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Idk, I think I'll stick to my own methods. His neoguineensis is 40 euro. My neo seed was free. His insignis is 20something euro....but I have 16 of them (from seed, for free!)
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear you PK. Hard to beat seed grown stock. I just got and started some neogeenensis seeds. Did not look very fresh, hope they come up. But back to topic, I believe this N. x trusmadiensis is from BE and not Wistuba??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macamus3 View Post
    I hear you PK. Hard to beat seed grown stock. I just got and started some neogeenensis seeds. Did not look very fresh, hope they come up. But back to topic, I believe this N. x trusmadiensis is from BE and not Wistuba??
    Correct. I guess Rob had some Macrophylla seed in TC and 2 of the 24 clones turned out to be Trusmadiensis instead of Macrophylla.

Daniel
    - Daniel

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast