User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General questions about pests (aphids, mealy bugs, etc)

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

General questions about pests (aphids, mealy bugs, etc)

Hello gang -

I have yet to get a N. but have been reading a lot about them. My question is mainly about pests. Basic question, but I am paranoid due to all of the threads about plants being ruined by all of the pests out there (search function started the nightmare), so now when I am looking at my plants, I panic when I see any brown spot or imperfection.

Do any of you take preventative measures and treat the plants before they even have a condition or pest? If so, what is a safe product to use that gets rid of most pests a CP could have?

As far as what I see... on my filiformis var filiformis one of the new leaves looks like it was almost snipped by tiny scissors; however, I just got them, so this could have even occured during shipping... like I said, I am just extra paranoid

Thanks!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh PLEASE don't just type the first letter of the genus.

No preventative measures, because this builds resistance. That's why we have strains of bacteria that are resistant to drugs: because we use hand sanitizer and antibiotics to frequently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realize this is deemed as a "newbie mistake" but seems like the experts on here know what I am talking about, so figured I would take a shortcut

Thanks for the advice Clint... that makes perfect sense.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's not that Imagine if you had used "D." instead. That could mean Dionaea, Drosera, or Darlingtonia.

That's another good reason to use Latin names instead of common names. For example, "Pitcher plant" could mean Sarracenia, Cephalotus, Nepenthes, Darlingtonia, or Heliamphora. "Sundew" could mean any of over 170 species (not counting hybrids and cultivars) of which many differ vastly in their culture. You wouldn't want to give someone the requirements of say, D. capensis, if they had D. adelae. You'd fry it in short order!

And besides, it brings back bad memories of Pon14.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read ya.

I am guessing I don't want to be known as the return of Pon14.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aphids: You'll know if you have them, you can see them and you're plant's leaves will be all deformed. they're not common on N's though
    scale: You can see these too as hard little barnacle like things
    thrips: Are annoying. You can't see them because they're in the leaf. The leaf looks all scraped though. However, scraped looking leaves can also be fungus.
    mealybugs: Easy to find, you'll definitely know if you have them. They're about the size of a small rolly-polly, and they live in cottony stuff. ANNOYING to get rid of.
    those are the ones I know most about.
    Insanity is a sane response to an insane world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thnk the aphids are timid around my place... all of my house plants got attacked this winter and looked terrible EXCEPT my CPs. I think they mst know that I would become the aphid targeting version of Rambo if they touched them.

But it was really weird to see them totally covering all of my other house plants and not even one on any of my CPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah i have been lucky i havnt had one problem with pest or infections yet... keeping my fingers crossed it ownt happen
    My Grow List: Working on building it back up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast