What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just cleaned out one of my tanks a little bit, so I figured I would pull out some plants and take some pics.

Here is a particularly dark and purple form of Spathulata. It is so dark inside the pitcher that I had to turn the flash on or else it was just pitch black. When I first got it, it had no pitchers on it, and it was actually the wrong plant that was sent to me. I told the vendor not to worry because I did not have one yet so I would just keep it (it was the same cost as the original plant I ordered). Now I am quite pleased with it, because I haven't seen any Spathulatas that are quite as dark as this one. Even the lid looks like it is black and dying, but it is actually just splotched with purple.

When I first received it.
Spathulatawhole-1.jpg

Now:
SpathulataWhole2.jpg

SpathulataPitcher.jpg

SpathulataPitcherSide.jpg

SpathulataNewPitcherForming.jpg

Here is my newest pitcher on my 'Marbled Dragon'. I think I am particularly fond of this plant because it was my first Nep which I received as a very tiny TC runt.
MarbledDragonRedPitcher.jpg

MarbledDragonRedPitcher2.jpg

Heres a Maxima x Trusmadiensis I picked up from Ludwig the other day. I think this should end up looking really nice.
MaximaxTM.jpg

Some people find Ventricosa x Inermis to be boring, but I kind of like it.
VentricosaxInermisWhole.jpg

VentricosaxInermisPitcher.jpg

Heres my shameful Mira I have mentioned a couple times in different posts... I never should have bought from this certain vendor, because they always sent me their smallest crappiest plants. I know other vendors carry larger size Miras, but oh well. I won't be going back to this particular vendor.
RetardedMira.jpg

Heres my Sibuyanensis x Hamata. It doesn't really have a toothy peristome, but hopefully it will improve as it matures. It is a steady grower though.
SibuyanensisxHamata.jpg

SibxHamataPitcher.jpg

Heres my baby Hamata that I just love. I can't wait until it gets larger.
Hamata4Pitchers.jpg

Hamata4Pitchers2.jpg

I just love Jaquelineae. It is surprisingly easy to grow too.
Jaquelineae.jpg

nice looking plants you have there! Nice growing.

NICE! All your stuff looks great....except the mira, which you might want to spray with an acaricide. Some of my plants (guess what vendor they came from?) started to look like that out of nowhere, then go into a rapid decline. I'd do it at least as a precaution, because if that plant does have mites, it's gone in a few weeks tops.

Thanks guys :).

NICE! All your stuff looks great....except the mira, which you might want to spray with an acaricide. Some of my plants (guess what vendor they came from?) started to look like that out of nowhere, then go into a rapid decline. I'd do it at least as a precaution, because if that plant does have mites, it's gone in a few weeks tops.

I've had that plant for almost 7 months and it has always looked that crappy. It grows super slow and just looks awful. I will still try the acaricide though, thanks for the advice :).

Daniel

Great plants Nepenthes! Cant wait to see some bigger pitches of that N. hamata x sib.

I've had that plant for almost 7 months and it has always looked that crappy. It grows super slow and just looks awful.
Same story with some of the plants I've gotten from there. Then the leaves started getting th e little red dots, and then I noticed some silver streaking a bit later and threw them out. Now I know what that is and as soon as I get those little red dots again, I'm going to treat. No matter what conditions you give the plants, if they have mites and are left untreated, they're finished.

Great Plants! Especially the hamata and jaquelineae...man I want a hamata BAD.

I've had the same bad experience with that dealer... the gymnamphora was tiny and the lowii had barely any roots.....so much so that it fell out of the pot. But they are pitchering and happy now.:-D

Great Plants! That hamata is sweet!

That spathulata may be an introgressed hybrid with N. singalana. The color is atypical, which is not too surprising, but the mouth and lid seem to be slightly misshapen for the species, and the spur is not at all how a spathulata spur should be. Spathulata spurs are simple (unbranched), and typically very small (.5mm).

Thanks for the compliments everyone :).

That spathulata may be an introgressed hybrid with N. singalana. The color is atypical, which is not too surprising, but the mouth and lid seem to be slightly misshapen for the species, and the spur is not at all how a spathulata spur should be. Spathulata spurs are simple (unbranched), and typically very small (.5mm).

I was considering that possibility, but I did not know how to tell... The coloration did seem off, but I had seen some fairly dark Spathulata pitchers on the photo finder before. Thanks for the observation.

Daniel

fantastic plants man! my fav is the hamata and jacq. But wow! your plants are looking top notch. great growing Daniel. :) Good job! wow! :D
I am making me a new nep setup this summer. Do u mind showing me where you grow your highlanders? or is there a pic already up somewhere?

thanks,

V

Yes i would also enjoy if you owuld show where you grow your highlanders it would be helful cause i need to make a higlander setup now also :-D

I grow my highlanders in my garage where there is a natural temp drop at night. Sometimes I open the garage door at night to let out all the warm air, and equalize the temp to outside temps. I live near the beach so I naturally get low night temp drops outside. I will try to get a pic of the setup real soon. I will definitely do it once I get my new plants on Sunday, if not sooner. Thanks again everyone, and thanks for your kind words Varun :).

Daniel

Great stuff, Daniel. Your N. "Marbled Dragon" looks a little toothy, which is cool. I also like your redish live LFS. Looking forward to seeing some more from your jaq.

xvart.

Wow, they look wonderful! Good looking sphagnum moss you have there also. I wish I could get mine to grow like that.

Thanks for the reply Daniel. Well...I guess I need to figure out a way to use the weather outside to cool my highlanders as well. hmmm.....I am thinking of some way to vent the cold air from outside to my basement directly into the nep setup. Well...I guess I need to first come up with a good setup. I am considering a number of options:
1) terrarium style: use made 90 gal aquarium
2) terrarium style... but DIY style with lighter materials as I won't be filling the 90 gal with water.
3) indoor walk-in greenhouse style

The problem for me is that it has to be easily transportable..i.e, rip it apart, move and put it up. Thats why I am not too enthusiastic of getting like a 90gal tank.

I am actually considering that. However, I am also thinking about using a lot sturdier material than just plastic sheets. Imagine this: making a nice display style...easy to move terrarium style setup using lexan sheets. Basically custom make them such that I can construct a terrarium piece by piece. SO all sheets come apart. Have a sheet at the bottom, but use a tray for the plants as their main bottom. SO water will collect in there. However, they will be on gravel to prevent sitting in water. This way, the purpose of humidity will be met, the issue with a small compact setup that is easily movable will be met as well making it more compatible with any house that I find next year.

very nice, some of the sphagnum in my hamata pot is turning red now.
very nice nepenthes

Back