Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: N. Lowii Care

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well it's different for each species, this is my first time growing a lowii but I have it's cousing epphipiata and it's doing great and it's in a 50/50 mix of peat moss and perlite. with a bit of LFS at the top.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok good well that is what i am curently using
    My Grow List: Working on building it back up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    You guys should get each other's phone numbers.
    Roflol... I didn't know why you said this at first, but then I saw the chatter lol.

Anyway, I find that Lowii likes cooler temps. Mine originally came potted in a peat heavy mix, which I was ever so grateful for . I have since moved to a much more open mix, as I find highlanders really like it (Lowii is almost ultrahighlander I believe). I use a 1:2:2 LFS:Perlite:Bark mix, with LFS as a topdressing. From what I understand, a much better mix contains no LFS or peat, but as I do not want to water so frequently, I use some LFS for water retention. Make sure to give a nice night temp drop and keep the humidity high if possible.

Can you post some pics of your setup and the Lowii?

EDIT: Oh yeah lose the baggy over time. If you are acclimating it to lower humidity, then open it slowly over the course of a few days (maybe 10? I'm not sure because I've never done this)... maybe poke holes in it gradually. Someone who grows on windowsills can give better advice.

Daniel
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had to use the bag before. If it's a ziplock I gradually open it. If its a bag, I just cut more off the corners each day. I usually do about 10 days when I have to do that.

I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't like half of a thread consisting of back and forth chatter between you two, which is rarely, if ever, on topic. I mean over 20 posts a day? Let's show some restraint now and then.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't like half of a thread consisting of back and forth chatter between you two, which is rarely, if ever, on topic. I mean over 20 posts a day? Let's show some restraint now and then.
    He has a point. OT posts have been removed. Let's not make a habit out of it, guys.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepenthes View Post
    Roflol... I didn't know why you said this at first, but then I saw the chatter lol.

Anyway, I find that Lowii likes cooler temps. Mine originally came potted in a peat heavy mix, which I was ever so grateful for . I have since moved to a much more open mix, as I find highlanders really like it (Lowii is almost ultrahighlander I believe). I use a 1:2:2 LFS:Perlite:Bark mix, with LFS as a topdressing. From what I understand, a much better mix contains no LFS or peat, but as I do not want to water so frequently, I use some LFS for water retention. Make sure to give a nice night temp drop and keep the humidity high if possible.

Can you post some pics of your setup and the Lowii?

EDIT: Oh yeah lose the baggy over time. If you are acclimating it to lower humidity, then open it slowly over the course of a few days (maybe 10? I'm not sure because I've never done this)... maybe poke holes in it gradually. Someone who grows on windowsills can give better advice.

Daniel
    Thanks for all the help on the ideas for acclimating. I think i will aclimate it over a 10 day period cutting holes bigger and bigger of the corners. I also think i can have some pics of the Lowii to you by tommorow. Thanks for the ideas on the soil also i might change mine soon.

Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    He has a point. OT posts have been removed. Let's not make a habit out of it, guys.

xvart.
    Ok i will stop the chit chat in a post, sorry if i made anyone mad

-Ryan
    My Grow List: Working on building it back up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ryan,

The plants have been deflasked for more than 6 months and are already acclimated to normal/low ambient humidity so you can probably do away with the bag.

I had them planted in a media of cyprus/osmuda/PBM/LFS topped with live sphag. And they were 1m below a 400W HID bulb.

D,

I'll double check my records at home but I believe this batch was the Trus Madi form of lowii
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vraev,
    Those sound very close to my conditions, and my lowiis are all very happy indeed. So I think you're in good shape there.

Expect slow growers, guys. My experience is that they grow like molasseses until they're about four inches across. Then they take off pretty good.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast