Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need help with first CPs

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfbane View Post
    i bought a large CP cube-o-death about a week ago.
    LOL! I'm sorry to hear that! Welcome to TF, though!

Seriously, I would make three pots, one for each. Just add orchid bark and perlite to the Nep and get it under light that will give it at least 12 hours of light.

For the VFT I would buy a $4 bag of long fibered sphagnum (LFS) and make a pot up. have it at the window sill until you see new growth. Then put it outside, in the shade, for a week, before direct sunlight.

You can use the LFS to make up a pot for the sundew (likely to be D. adelae) and keep the pot in a plastic container of distilled water, at a window sill. Fill the pot when the water evaporates.

That's really all you need for right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes, I've never seen those cubes o' death packed with 3 different species. That thing is doomed from the get go - unless someone does their research like you are doing. You might be surprised how well they pull out of it. My best colored and best growing Sarr purp was barely alive when I pulled it out of one of those cubes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. They're doing three species in one cube now 'eh? I guess that's a good way to start a collection.

Nighsky: Yeah, I've rescued about ten sickly purp Sarrs from those tiny cubes. I re-pot 'em up in a standard CP mix and give 'em some light and they grow and color up nicely. I then give them out to friends and co-workers to get them hooked on CP's.
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 3 packs have been around for a while, but maybe not in all areas. They like to pluck 3 totally different species and shove them together. It is pretty much always a VFT and D Adelae and the third plant is either a nep, sarracenia (purp and rubra are the ones I always see) or a Cobra. They cube 'em up and plop them down on the darkest shelf that they can find in the store.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ilbasso View Post
    Is that one of the new death cubes where everyone is in a pot, or are the plants slapped in moss in the bottom of the cube?
    they are all in a little plastic pot inside the cube. ive got the top turned 45 degrees such that each corner is open. ill use the pencil trick to open it further.

Quote Originally Posted by D_muscipula View Post
    haha he is a new grower don't frusterate him with complex soil mixes, listen the nepenthes like moist soil not soggy soil you can use a 50/50 mix of peat moss and perlite water overhead weekly.
    the adelae is a tropical sundew I grow mine in a 50/50 mix of peat moss and perlite and they do great, I started with three adelae from a lowes cube and I have over six pots of adelae now each with like 4-6 some with like 20 plants in a pot.
    and the flytraps they don't need humidity to grow nice, you can use a 50/50 mix of peat moss and perlite for them and use pots with drainage holes for all three of the cps in the cube.
    so ive got stuff layin around for my orchids.... sphag moss and orchid mix (bark, charcoal, and little white chunks {perlite i guess?}). i was thinking of using pure moss for the flytraps and maybe mixing the moss and mix for the nepenthes?
    Last edited by xvart; 04-10-2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: merged posts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was thinking of using pure moss for the flytraps and maybe mixing the moss and mix for the nepenthes?
    Sounds great.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12