What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Young Red Hairy Hamata acting weird!

JMatt

Stovepipe (The Beast) RIP My friend.
I have had this small red hairy hamata for just about a year.
It was very small when I got it. For many months it did not pitcher for me at all.
Now it has finally started pitchering again, but each new pitcher that developed was slightly deformed. The leaves grew long but skinny. Now I have a permanent spot for it in my basement and it seems to be improving. The new growth is starting to look normal again except there are two maybe three growths! What the heck would cause this? Stress?
It grows with my Wistuba clones and they look great. I think it will be ok, just not used to seeing the main growing point do this. Anybody have this happen to them?
JMatt

dsc01677lb7.jpg

dsc01676no7.jpg

I don't know but I heard that small plants sometimes grow funny if conditions were not ideal.
wow you have alot of live LFS.
how do you keep it from drying out?

is that nep potted in pure live LFS?

i havent seen that before... im no nep expert so no idea

looks to me like it made more grow points...

It''s happened to me from time to time. Could be stress, not in this case, but it could be TC chemicals. Sometimes it just happens on its own. Just leave it be, but if the plant starts to look worse, cut one off at the base with a razor blade.

This plant is supposed to be from seed.
The live sphagnum moss is just a top dressing to the pot. I already trimmed it back once.
Grows pretty good in a tank under lights. All my other Hamatas seem to like it.
JMatt

Just keep your fingers crossed and hope that all growth points stay healthy. You'll have a super bushy plant in no time.

xvart.

Yeah the hairy hamatas are from seed. I was just mentioning the fact that TC chemicals will do that as well.

Ever since I put all of my highlanders in my basement they all show much improvement.
I will keep my fingers crossed though. This picture is a couple Wistuba clones I have that are growing in the same chamber right next to the red hamata. They are young, but seem happy. They are top dressed with live sphagnum also.
JMatt

Could be stress, not in this case, but it could be TC chemicals.

Exactly what I wanted to say as well. :) TC probably might be the culprit. What's the source of the plant? Wistuba?? might be the insufficient weaning that is causing it...which means its still pretty vulnerable and needs some good hardening.

It is from seed. The Wistuba clones are from TC.
I think it is just going threw a strange phase. I think it will be ok.
JMatt

It looks like it may have suffered damage to the original growth tip and has activated nodes giving rise to multiple points of growth. I have seen this once or twice, even on very small plants. My culprit was a small rogue slug that had interloped in on the live sphag I had top dressed with....

Jmatt, I would have said heat stress if not for you stating that you grow it together with other hamata plants which are doing very well. My new intermediate/highland Neps will produce multiple nodes during the hottest months here. After which they take another 4-6 months to start growing properly again and become acclimatised to my conditions.

Hehe, it does sound like most of us think it could be TC chemicals. But if it is a seed-grown plant, then it might be stress.

I would guess pest damage to the original growth point, (e.g. snail/slug).

The good news is the new growth points look healthy. I know your conditions are are right for this plant, so I would rule out environmental stress. If this was July or August it might be a different story with the increased temperatures. You have also had this plant for some time and it was growing strong before under your care.

I hope it recovers quickly for you.

See you Saturday at the NECPS meeting.

my guess is like theirs, its stressed. or TC Chemicals sounds like a possibility.
Neps from what i find out love LFS. i have a couple of mine potted in pure LFS.

JMatt, one of mine is doing the same thing. Keep us posted!

Capslock

Did everyone miss the posts where i said TC chemicals can do that, but that this plant isn't from TC? I said it once or twice, and JMatt said it twice.

Give it a nice injection of Auxins at the meristems. ;)

Good luck with it. Hamata is a great-looking nep.

Interesting. My hairy red hamata seedling did the identical thing. It then produced a stubby leaf with a relatively large pitcher, and is now back to growing normally. I think your plant will be OK.

I've had glabrata do the a similar thing too.

Tonyc,
Did the extra growing points all live on your plant?
I hope they do on mine, maybe sometime in the future if all goes well I can separate them?
JMatt

Back