What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
It has been in the 80's here for more than a few weeks(with nights in the 70s), so I moved all my neps out from their winter resting on a cramped set of grow racks in the garage to their outdoor shaded area. Now I see that it will dip into the low 40's and maybe even to 38 by Sunday night. Should I be concerned - freezing or even frost is VERY unlikely - about the 38? If so, which neps should I move back into the garage?
I have the following outside now:

Lowlands (most concerned about):
gracilis nigrapurpurea [JH]
rafflesiana (male)
rafflesiana 'Singapore Giant' [JH]

Highlands (not as concerned):
alata 'Boschiana Mimic' [JH]
alata elongata [Joe Granville]
alata "red top" [Joe Granville]
maxima 'Borneo' (female) [Andrew Marshall]
ventricosa red (female) [Andrew Marshall]

Hybrids:
alata x maxima [JH]
x coccinea {(rafflesiana*ampullaria)*mirabilis} [Fred Meyers]
'Effulgent Koto' {mirabilis x thorellii} [Glenn]
"Gentle" {fusca x maxima} [glenn] pic 2
'Judith Finn' {spathulata x veitchii} [Rose Witt]
khasiana x tobiaca [Santos]
merrillata {merrilliana x alata} [Joe Granville]
mirabilis "gold" x mixta superba(male)[JH] pic 2
'Miranda' {x mixta (northiana*maxima) x maxima}
"Red Leopard" {ventricosa x maxima} [Griffin]
Rokko {thorelii*maxima}(male) [Joe Granville]
thorellii JAM clone n+w x summer 1976 LCS #2 mixta superba [Nick Z]
'Trichocarpa' {gracilis x ampullaria} [Nick Z]
truncata x maxima [Andrew Marshall]
ventrata [glenn and WalMart] basal sprout

Thanks for your thoughts on these...I hate the idea of moving them all back in.....

I'd bring in the lowlands, and maybe the Trichocarpa. x coccinea could probably come in as well. The rest should be able to handle it.

Casplock

The thorellii JAM clone n+w x summer 1976 LCS #2 mixta superba [Nick Z] can definitely stay out because it tolerated my winter down to the 30's at night and only 50-60's during the day time.

Jeff

Coccinea, effulgent koto, trichocarpa and possibly merrilliata def need to come in.
I'd bring the rokko in too.

the highlanders might show a bit of stress since that's cold even for ultrahighlanders. I'd bring everything with a lowland parent in.

Thanks for the advice guys, kinda what I thought. I had the out quite awhile in the fall - until just before Tgiving and the first real consistent 30F lows. Some of the ones mentioned had begun to decline some by then.

Luckily the have updated the forecast to 3 days with highs below 75F with lows between 43 and 48 those nights...then back to the 80s with lows in 60s and 70s.....its 89 right now.....

I will leave them all out if it stays in the 40s - - it got that cold several times in the garage over winter and even the lowlands were pitchering...I will watch the temps closely that night!

You need to take wind chill into account too. I had some HLs outside when it was about 40, but w/ wind chill it was 27, and they all died.

Yes, wind chill is very important! Here in Prescott, I'm 6,000 feet above sea level and at night time the lows are usually around 40 but if you factor in the wind chill it's close to 25. To play it safe, I bring all my plants in a night. Better safe than sorry and to wait a few more months for warmer temperatures.

Giovanni

Great feedback about the wind chill - it is pretty windy today.
They also revised the temp top 38......!!!!
C'ya gotta go move plants.....

Back