What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drooling Ventricosa

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
Just had to take a few photos of this ventricosa today. It's making so much nectar that it's just drooling. Ventricosa, where are your manners?!? gawd... must be all the gnats flying around.

Today I feel I have gained +1 Nepenthes experience point, as I tasted Nepenthes nectar for the first time. Its sweet with a slight hint of burning.

I hate it when they do that. The pitcher then gets stuck to other things around it or I grab it without realizing and then my fingers are sticky! Can't they just close their big mouths?

xvart.

I can't wait for the day when my dog runs in to greet me with one stuck to the side of him.

I wonder if their excessive nectar is part of their design where they can attract crawling insects up to the pitcher entrance. ???

They don't have "ladders" so it kinda makes sense.

My x ventrata does that ALL the time, sometimes it even drips on to the table....sticky mess.

wow, none of my neps have reached this maturity... but thats pretty sweet.

lmao! I know the feeling. My ventrata or my ex-ventrata (I sold it!!! YAY!!! :p ) used to do the same thing. Drool all over the side of the pitcher...I try to hold it for anice look...and sticky sticky....I hate sticky fingers. lol!

I hate it when they do that. The pitcher then gets stuck to other things around it or I grab it without realizing and then my fingers are sticky! Can't they just close their big mouths?

xvart.

Sticky icky icky, oooh wee. Hehe, very nice Ventricosa Nathan. Ventricosas are under-appreciated but it looks like you take good care of yours :). I really like that pot in the picture too :).

Daniel

So, what? Is that difficult to get to happen? My ventricosa dose that all summer and it only stops in fall/winter. I also now have a habit of grabbing the back and sides of any pitcher I touch.

So, what? Is that difficult to get to happen?

Sizzle... oh feel'n the burn! Sorry Ant, it was just a photo opportunity that I came across and not too much else.

My nepenthes collection is mostly only a year and a half old, almost all of them coming from tiny BE clones (lowii, uggh). I've only started seeing some of my plants produce nectar for the first time, and don't come across photos of that happening very often either. At least, not of them going nuts and drooling all over the place.

Nate

Does it taste good XD?

Does it taste good XD?

YES!!!!
excess nectar will rot the peristome or the side of the pitcher where it drips down I suggest leaving some but wiping off some of the extra nectar with a moist rag or you can eat it like I do it's rather sweet!! besides you probably have eaten honey and it's bee vomit why not eat nepenthes drool?

Its not vomit, it is from the crop witch is like a stomach except, it doesn't absorb nutrients but, rather degests them somewhat and is used to feed colony members and young. Wasp invented paper, bees invented wax and honey, and ants invented the garden! Why do we get the credit for all those things? :-))

excess nectar will rot the peristome or the side of the pitcher where it drips down I suggest leaving some but wiping off some of the extra nectar with a moist rag or you can eat it like I do it's rather sweet!! besides you probably have eaten honey and it's bee vomit why not eat nepenthes drool?

This has never happened to me before, and I've had plenty of nectar all over creation... Anyways, that wouldn't make any sense at all... Evidence?

xvart.

I don't have a picture to backup my statement. I don't take pictures of pitchers when they start to die, I take pictures when they form or when the tendril develops a pitcher. Or when the pitcher opens and the peristome colors up.
On my ventricosa the top half of the pitcher did not turn brown but instead down the side of the pitcher about halfway it turned black and mushy, the pitcher was not really old. And before this happened to me somebody had told me that extra nectar will rot the peristome but I can't recall who. It was in the chatroom thought so if you want go read the archives.

NO!!! but nectar can intoxicate insects, haha I heard bicalcarata nectar could make a rodent drunk.

Excess nectar will not rot the peristome. The peristome, which is regularly nectar covered, is supposed to be that way. That's how the trapping mechanism works....
The worst you can get from excess nectar is a powdery white or black mildew. Peristomes are EOEs :). Regardless of the color, its totally harmless, unless you're offended by its unsightlyness.

NO!!! but nectar can intoxicate insects, haha I heard bicalcarata nectar could make a rodent drunk.
Yeahhhhno. Where do you get this information? There is absolutely no evidence that I'm aware of that even suggests that Nepenthes nectar contains any sort of intoxicant whatsoever.

There is absolutely no evidence that I'm aware of that even suggests that Nepenthes nectar contains any sort of intoxicant whatsoever.

No, but Nepenthes Spathulata and Truncata can eat rodents such as mice.

PS:ROFL, I can't stop laughing when I see the dino-pope XD :-))

Back