What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drooling Ventricosa

Excess nectar will not rot the peristome. The peristome, which is regularly nectar covered, is supposed to be that way. That's how the trapping mechanism works....
The worst you can get from excess nectar is a powdery white or black mildew. Peristomes are EOEs :). Regardless of the color, its totally harmless, unless you're offended by its unsightlyness.

Yeahhhhno. Where do you get this information? There is absolutely no evidence that I'm aware of that even suggests that Nepenthes nectar contains any sort of intoxicant whatsoever.

well maybe the insects are not disorientated by the nectar after all bumble bees look drunk when they fly around in circles and loops.
I just head someone say something maybe it was a joke about the rodent but somewhere I did hear that sarracenia nectar could intoxicate bumblebees and I was guessing that nepenthes nectar could probably do the same..
nice picture Nate!!

And where did you hear about nectar rotting pitchers? It's so counterintuitive!

xvart.

from a member of terraforums thats what they said... it didn't rot the peristome just the side of the pitcher. I had been wiping the extra nectar off my plants with my finger and eating it and the one pitcher in between some pots I had forgot about and the pitcher started to rot and turn black and the plant tissue was sagging downwards but only where the nectar was.

some one knows what are the components of the nectar?

maybe some monosaccharides mixed with water and some organic acid (Carboxylic acid?)

Lol, what if you stored it and then sold it in a jar:jester:

then I'd buy it and chug it all! I'm addicted to nep nectar, I drink it off my sabre all the time. Sweeeeet...

Nectar won't rot the pitchers, otherwise why would the plant have evolved the way it to only to destroy it adaptive pitchers? The only rarer case of something like rot arising from sugary secretions is some pathogen taking hold in it and spreading into an open stomatal opening, thereby infecting and causing premature death of the pitcher tissue. But, that brings up another valid point, pitchers have no stomates, therefore it would be nearly impossible for pathogenic infections to occur, unless there was an open wound somewhere.

Also, the only thing drooling nectar will bring upon the plant is prey and sooty mold.

You have to taste it!

Hehe larry, already did, it was sweet with a hint of burning.

I can't wait until mine do that again so I can taste it! Also how big is your plant? Mine looks like it should be repotted because it is in a 4 inch pot that gets nocked over by its own wieght. Mine just produced its first pitcher of the new year. Its not so impressive but, its a pitcher! It is also has a new basal ever since I cut the main vine. Do plants make new basals when the stem at the bottom is not large enough to support (like send up enough water) the growth at the top? Since my main vine is starting to look like it is burning out.

Back