Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes rajah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the problem was that you can't repot it and I didn't know that, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vraev, try some of these things: coarse perlite (the big chunks), (almost) any kind of wood, glass beads, arcillite (find at aquarium store), burnt earth, hydroton, styrofoam peanuts.

Idk whats available in Canada or how easily, but with those components, you should be able to find enough components to make a good mix.

Like Phil said, rajah grows in a loose, well-draining media in situ. A very loose mix, which would require watering frequently, would probably be best. You'll get tons more oxygen to the roots and wouldn't have to worry about rot. Plus, in a mix composed of the above things, with the exception of the styrofoam, the roots won't really get stuck in those things.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Ant: No prob! Glad to help.

I am seriously going down that route PK. I am slowly embracing the moving away from LFS as I am getting more serious into neps. I do however...still go for a good percentage of LFS as I don't have a RO unit yet (It will be my next purchase), and I try to be sparing on the water usage.

I have been looking at some coarse FIR BARK, CEDAR pieces, PINE bark at a local sheridan nursary who have a lot of mulch options. I will be bringing some pictures here this summer to get a consensus on what I should get. I also want something light as I move around a lot....so I might probably go down the road of styrofoam pellets.

HOWEVER...are you guys tallkng about the packaging pellets?? THOSE THINGS turn to mush the moment I wet them. ;p Yeah! I did try using it. lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need an RO unit too. When I was using a gallon or less every time I watered, I was fine without one. Now I use about 3 gallons per watering, so I need just pony up and buy one.

"Orchid bark" is either aged fir or aged pine bark, so you'd be fine with either. Lots of people (including myself) have had success with cedar mulch as well, so its really personal preference. Another factor to consider is the size...maybe you go with a certain one because its just coarse enough. They're all pretty cheap so cost shouldn't be a factor.

The packing pellets you used are made from corn, and are supposed to dissolve in water. The ones used for potting are the styrofoam ones. They look kind of like an "s" and are firmer than the corn based ones.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still love lfs for smaller pots as they don't dry out as fast, and being realistic, I travel a lot and take long weekends. I need it so my smaller potted plants don't dry out. Regardless, as they grow, I use less and less lfs and more the mix that PK describes. By the way, I love the Cedar Mulch, as it's cheap as heck and works great. BUT, you really have to wash it out quite a bit. That stuff is dirty!!!

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah! I was using like 2 gallons per week before. Now I come up to using atleast a 3/4 gal. per day. My good friend Av8tor1 is helping me out. Maybe we should team up and look for a good system. I found this from CPUK: A good description on what to look for on an RO system:

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...article_id=510

yeah! the orchid bark I am currently using is like pretty big particle size...like 1- 1.5 inch pieces. I remember reading a bit about cedar from your usage as well as a lot of growers here...I will be on the lookout for some of it at Sheridan nursaries. I''ll keep ya guys posted on my persuits. But so far...I found that "BETTER GRO" Orchid bark has been giving be fantastic results for cephs, VFT's, neps and Darligtonia. lol! yes!! I use it in everything. lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use 1:2:3 tree fern fiber: perlite: orchid bark. I've had no problems with it but I have to water every day. I use wooden baskets (hopefully not tropical hardwood) for aeriation. Seems to work okay, but I haven't even had them for a year yet. And maybe my plants all look like turds anyway .
    hey vraev, we posted at almost the exact same time.
    lol it turned my ratios into smileys (: perlite, : orchid bark. fixed.
    Insanity is a sane response to an insane world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm getting a Nepenthes ventricosa 'red form' soon, so what soil mix do you think is better 2 parts perlite to one part peat moss or 1:1:1 of perlite, peat moss, and LFS?
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast