Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes rajah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by philcula View Post
    Wasted- Your plant is beautiful and no one is saying you are doing anything wrong. The purpose here is to give a heads up for making changes for growing larger plants on..undisturbed and making the right choices for growing media.
    Hiya, I didn't think you were and all advice is greatfully accepted!

The point im trying to make is that what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another, getting growers of any plants to agree on most things is like herding cats.. I find I don't have a problem with sphagnum on top as I only every use pond baskets that allow a lot of air through the media at all levels, the rajah's a bit big for that but the basket its in is intended to provide the same, its totally unlined.. If ive learnt anything about growing highlands its that airflow is of utmost importance, to the leaves and the roots.. My greenhouse is open to the elements (all doors and vents) between 6 and 11 every night summer and winter..

I know the smell your on about when sphag rots down and its pretty easy to detect if you just stick your finger into the media I do think though that it can be avoided with correct watering and airflow.

Cheers..

Wasted

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Wasted:

Thanks for joining in mate. Glad to know more on how you grow this beauty. I didn't know that it was growing in such a media. I thought your percentage of chopped sphagnum was a lot higher. As I always keep saying, good job mate! Keep us posted when it makes the transition to adult pithers.

Good to hear your input regarding the usage of sphagnum. As I will describe further on...my watering routine has been thrashed since i got a new light fixture which is causing heat making me implement air circulation in the enclousure. that is killing humidity which is causing my moss to dry and die. I Know that your humidity during day is also 60%. How does your live moss fare?? Thanks.

@ Phil,

hmmm!!! Repotting eh Well! I still have to atleast wait till the beginning of may to head back home, gather all the constituents of the mix and so on.

I am also currently having issues with the balance of HEAT, humidity and lighting...as a result of increased air circulation that is causing humidity drop to 50's and all my live sphagnum layers on all the pots is going white and dry. I am just getting a new humidifier and I am going to see what that can do.

As a result of the EXCESS watering I have to do everyday to keep the moss alive....the media is becoming very very very wet. I can see through the netted pot and damn! the LFS is wet. I am not really very happy about that and I am still working on a solution. I am guessing that is just accelerating the decay of the media.

LFS attracts worms to the mix The only thing I see in my plant pots is something which are the size of springtails. Very very small... less than a mm sized little silvery/black bugs that are normally around the rich nectar regions of both my CEPHS and my neps.

lol Phil! Interesting experience regarding the burbidgeae especially as it grows alongside the N.rajah in the wild. DOesn't the temp. on Mt. Kinabalu go below 50's occassionally?? I know its a beautiful plant as well...but I think I need a greenhouse before I get that one. lol!

The rajah holds a special place for me. However, there are a few other plants (which are probably the favourites of almost every nepenthes cultivator) which I would love and envision to one day grow: N.edwardsiana, N.villosa, N.macrophylla, N.teuis, N.spec. nov. DA, N.sp1 (Wistuba), N.flava & N.jamban. For now the first one is probably more of a fantasy than reality as there are probably a handful of those around the world in cultivation. But...one day...I sure want to have one of them. Alongside the villosa, its among the most regal plants I have ever seen. YUp!!! the teeth...lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya,

No worries, to be honest it could be higher, im not that sure, im sure I told you it was in that mix though, deleted the pm now.. anyhow it depends how it feels more than me measuring out equal amounts to be honest..

Is Jeramiah still growing his in pure sphag btw? I read an older post a while ago where he stated he was.. thing is I think if one person starts something and gets short term success others are quick to follow and in the case of a plant that takes 10years+ to mature you dont find out for a while if your successfull method works as well for adult plants as it did for young ones.. What you end up with is a lot of growers that all grow the same way facing the same problems.. hence the sphag root ball problem.

Just my two pennies worth..

Wasted..

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what kind of mix do you use, then? I'm on my third or fourth year of serious Nep growing and, while I haven't had any issues with tangled roots, I definitely know what you mean about LFS rotting. I tried a few of my plants in LFS/perlite and while they all survived, it wasn't ideal.
    I've moved to baskets for all my larger Neps, which I line with LFS. Since the basket offers lots of air circulation, I'm hoping the LFS lasts. I use a mix of bark, perlite and horticultural carbon for my fill, and sometimes add peat, milled sphagnum, or ceramic chips to help it hold water. I'm wondering about other inorganic components, such as lava rock or, in my wildest dreams, rockwool cubes. With smaller plants, I'll typically wrap them in a few strands of live stuff to help them get established. So far, everything I've tried it with seems to enjoy that treatment; I don't know if it's the bigger pots, improved air circulation, or mix, but both the Neps and the Sphagnum/Tillandsia I have in with them have all bulked up dramatically after recovering from transplant shock. I really like this setup as it allows me to leave the Neps in a little bit of standing water without worrying about smothering the roots. The mix keeps a fairly uniform amount of moisture whether it's in standing water or not, and I can go well over a week without watering.
    Packing peanuts are an interesting idea... do you think that coarse perlite would work as well? I'm looking to repot some rajah seedlings soon, and was thinking about dropping them into one of my 10"x10" baskets with the other 'big boys.' From the sound of it, I might get better results by just going straight to a big nursery pot... and I imagine I could get similar results to my net pot method if I used styrofoam to keep the mix from being in complete contact with the water line. My first guess would be... layer of peanuts, a few loose strands of LFS to wick up moisture when things start to try, then some sort of granular mix like bark, perlite and ceramic chips with peat or milled sphagnum watered in from the top to help slow evaporation. I think styrofoam in net pots might be overkill, though, as those plantings seem to have no trouble draining in my experience.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I agree! WHen I make mixes its a very very rough estimate based on the "FEEL" and a simple measure using fistful of materials. Hmm....lol! Yeah! You probably did tell me...but I guess I forgot. lol!

Yeah Phil! Thats true! I was actually wondering about the same thing. Jeremiah's plant is around 7 yrs old isn't it?? I remember he posted that he grows the huuuge one in LFS. Once again.....not trying to cause an argument here. I totally agree with a lighter mix as it is a lot healthier for the roots and I will for sure go for a nice light mix when I repot. However, I am trying to assess both the sides of the scenario here: From the LFS advocates and the No-LFS group.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol! we posted a min apart.

well...if you were asking wasted: He mentioned his mix here:

I grow my rajah in a 14" x 10" hazel basket, its in a light mix of fine orchid bark, perlite, hydroleca, peat and chopped sphag, ive no idea of the ratio, its just feels right.. its probably around 2:1:1:1:1, its topped with live sphag...

Quote Originally Posted by seedjar View Post
    So what kind of mix do you use, then?
    ~Joe

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe... though I was all the way through but I was wrong. Now I see.
    Do you think that the root rot problem might be abated by raising the root ball and old mix to the surface of the pot? Rather than dropping the root ball into the new pot and lining the gaps with new mix, fill the pot most of the way and rest the root ball on top. Where rot has already taken hold, this probably won't help, but it could perhaps make enough of a difference to keep compacted LFS from turning to just a plain lump of mush. Neps tend to send out shoots when they fall over/begin hanging, so you could maybe rescue a plant in this manner. Thoughts? I don't have enough experience to make a good guess.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice mate very cool
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast