Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes rajah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok after reading through all this it makes you think are you doing it right. I know that the rajah is a tempermental plant as well as some others. I always used a mix that has lots of LFS. But now I think I'm going to change it. At first I used just that. Then I added some of this orchid mix. It's made by Schultz. It has aged raw fir bark or aged raw pine bark, arcillite, and horticultural charcoal. It's made for orchids. I'm not growing rajah (yet) but I am growing a villosa that needs to be repoted like a week ago. Also I have a hamata, predator, tentaculata, lowii, and some other not as rare neps so I want them to be in a better mix for them. But they are still small in 4in pots. Maybe add some cedar mulch or other type but washing it could be a problem can you use tap for that? What would you do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use that Schultz mix too for some things. I think its too dense for some of those plants though...the pieces of media are too fine. And its heavy.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am wary of schultz mixes. Especially since my experience of finding fertilizer in their peat bags. So now I prefer making my own personal mix from all raw materials. BTW...Jmurphy....those are not "not as rare neps". You also have among the most favored plants: N.villosa, N.hamata, N. x predator, N. lowii ...... Thats a kick **** selection of neps. Also coming back to what Phil was saying.....for a 4 inch pot..... I don't think that you need to worry right now. Once they grow older..thats when they become more dependent on their roots. I guess thats true with all plants as a result of which they don't like being repotted once they grow into adults.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every time you post you make me want to buy one even more! LOL!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am wary of schultz mixes
    Don't be. They're amazing. If there is fertilizer in them, it says so on the bag. Read every word before buying.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I just say that because where can you get them now. They are nice though. The Predator is getting big now. I'm sure it's in a 6 or 8in pot now. I'm just trying to find the right mix.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    naah! It doesn't say that on the bag of peat moss. I am 100% sure. A member on my local OCPS board also bought schultz peat and found it out the hard way. There are slow release fertilizer balls in them.

Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    Don't be. They're amazing. If there is fertilizer in them, it says so on the bag. Read every word before buying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have shultz peat and the plants are fine

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast