Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Odds and Ends

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    xvart, I root my rare/uncommon/cranky/stubborn plants in perlite. The rest are rooted in tap water. I have got very good success rate with the latter but I just don't want to risk even 1% chance of rot.

Capensis, I'll have to pot up the raff sooner or later. It is going to need some organic media if it has to reach its full potential. I was told that the pitchers are going to be very dark, like the peristome of the hookeriana I showed.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOOO wait a bit on the raff nepenthes don't get their nutrients from the soil and a nepenthes cutting can produce leaves and pitchers before it roots and often it then gets dug up and the root formation is disturbed. I would wait until it forms a couple more leaves or another pitcher... just wait a bit longer
    Does tap water help them root or do you just have no distilled or RO?
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response, Cindy. I'll have to keep that in mind. You say you water everyday with pure perlite? I guess I didn't realize the perlite has any water retention capabilities (or very little...), which would suggest the watering everyday (duh!).

Quote Originally Posted by D_muscipula View Post
    NOOO wait a bit on the raff nepenthes don't get their nutrients from the soil and a nepenthes cutting can produce leaves and pitchers before it roots and often it then gets dug up and the root formation is disturbed. I would wait until it forms a couple more leaves or another pitcher... just wait a bit longer
    I'm pretty sure Cindy knows what she's doing...

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D_muscipula, Neps do need nutrients from the media don't they? I have no idea if it works the same with distilled water but my tap water is relatively soft and safe for use on most CPs.

xvart, I don't water every day because the humidity here is quite high year round. I allow the water level in the container (transparent so that I can monitor it) to drop completely before I top up. I wouldn't advise just anyone to do the same especially if the ambient humidity is much lower. Dropping the water level brings in new supply of air and that encourages the formation of roots. I find that cuttings that root in perlite transplant much better than those rooted in water. I do lose 1-2 cuttings from water to media, either that or they take a longer time to start growing or pitchering.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More pics.

N. veitchii (I think this is a pure veitchii and not the hybrid with hurrelliana)

N. truncata

N. x kuchingensis

N. bicalcarata x ampullaria
    ]

N. x bauensis

N. truncata x mira

N. rafflesiana var. nivea - a fav of mine, no speckling at all on the pitcher body

N. x ventrata

Cindy

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    damn! nice plants! even your ventrata looks great!!!
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Balogna. Ever seen a nep get a HUGE growth burst from slow release fertilizer (in the soil) like osmacote? I have. They certainly take in some nutrients from the soil, just not to the same extant as regular plants.

Cindy, those pics are AWESOME!

I love the pic with the truncata - it like he's the lord of his domain, towering over all the "little people."
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome looking plants Cindy! I love the raff too! But they all look great. I wish my ventrata looked like yours. I think it is time to change my mix. Been doing alot of reading about that lately. thanks for sharing.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast