Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To cut or not to cut, that! is the question

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That plant is awfully young to do a cutting. I would wait another year, when it has had a chance to spread and have obvious places for cutting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PK's idea of tying the plant down with a small lead weight is a very good one...as I've done this myself on reluctant basal developers and its worked beautifully. My only concern is that fishing line can sometimes cut through some of the outer layers of tissue from the weight of being tied down so I myself use butcher's twine or cotton string or even knitting yarn. Just a thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little off topic here put if it's that tall and it's not ready to cut, how will I fit my future nep (ventricosa 'red form') in my 10 gallon tank? The tank is only like 11" high.

PS: PK, now it's Dino-Jesus XD!?
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that it is a cutting that it is to early to cut. I had an old stem about the burn out that I cut. It developed roots but, as soon as I picked it up and tried to plant it, the top snapped off! I killed my first cutting after it got roots, how stupid do I have to be!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All hail Raptor Jesus....he went extinct for your sins. He's also in yer base killin yer mans.

Capensis,
    just train it like mentioned earlier to grow laterally...then lit it grow upwards a bit, etc. Or buy a bigger tank once it gets bigger. Personally, I've cut plants at that size or smaller before out of necessity (emergency cuttings) and I can't remember ever losing any.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I didn't have any sort of lead fishing weights here at school, and don't feel like driving all the way out to walmart right now, I am going to try slowly staking it sideways. Lets see what happens
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Davey- If you don't have any lead weights then try using a heavy butter knife or a wrench wrapped in aluminum foil...so it doesn't rust in your tank. Thinking outside the box can often lead to new innovations and ideas. I once tied down a huge ampullaria vine with a hammer because the vine was so woody and I didn't have anything else that would work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12